PDA

View Full Version : Kites Review - Watch it for the lead pair

Saroj Kumar
20th May 2010, 10:53 PM
Kites Review

I Was eagerly waiting for this movie from the day it was announced, the reason being Hrithik Roshan, who I adore very much, joining hands with one of the most promising new generation directors of our time, Anurag Basu. After the initial poster/promos/details came out, the expectations soared sky high.

Watched the movie today from Lamcy Cinema, Dubai at 4:00(5:30 IST). So now its time to look back and analyse one of the most expected movies of the year - Kites.

Story
---------

J(Hrithik) is a choreographer cum dance teacher in las vegas. He wants to make it big some day and for that he tries to make money by all possible means. Gina(Kangana Ranaut) is his student who has a huge crush on him. J agrees to her proposal eyeing the her wealth as she is the daughter of Bob(Kabir Bedi),filthy rich casio owner in Las Vegas. J meets Natasha(Barbara Mori),fiancee of Gina's brother Tony(Nicholas Brown). They instantly falls for each other. With some sudden twists and turns of events, J & Natasha elopes leaving behind wounded Tony who is hell bent to find them and have his revenge.

Direction
--------------
Let me make it to the point, Anurag basu is strictly ok. Nothing very impressive. He chose to narrate the story on gimmicks and shaky camera, but he is very much successful to add the international flavour through out. May be he could have done more with a better script.

Script
----------
May be the sole reason for this movie ending up as an average affair. The climax itself is a big let down. Easily one of the worst and easiset climaxes for such a theme. I think the title "Kites" is well suited for the script. It starts with an impressive flight, then looses the control somewhere in-between and finally it goes out of control with a broken string.

Action & thrills
--------------------
Cliches & coincidences, that's what action & thrills are all about. You might have seen those in so many hollywood and bollywood movies. Still you will crave for more as its too short and totally missing in the climax.

Songs
-----
Impressive. Hrithik's rendering of Kites in the sky and Zindagi are pick of the lot, but those songs has nothing to do with the narration. They could have made some apt situations befitting the songs.

Acting
------
Hrithik, the greek good, leads from the front. He is simply the best in the industry today, be it acting, action, dancing, glamour. He makes the moive a treat to watch.
Barbara Mori, If Hrithik is Zeus, Barbara is his hera. She fits the bill to perfection. You will fall in love with her.
Nicholas Brown as Tony is the usual bollywood villain. Kangana Ranaut is passable. She has nothing much to do and very short screen time. Still I loved her for the thunderous thigh show. Can't get it out of mind.
Nothing much to write about others in the cast.

Camera
------
Well, this one impressed me. Aesthetically shot, perfectly lit and was a visual treat. Really kudos to the guy. The color tones chosen were also impressive.

Other technical aspects
----------------------
Editing is perfect. BGM finely blends with the mood of the movie.

Positives
---------
Hrithik(His dance moves are just breath taking awesome)
Barbara(You can have a glimpse of her bare breast, but that's too short.)
Camera,
Music,
Duration( 2hrs)

Negatives
---------
A very weak climax
Script,
Direction(To an extent)

Rating: 6.5/10

**Mistakes mannichidungo.

ITV
20th May 2010, 10:55 PM
Thanks Saroj Kumar

KasinathaN
20th May 2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks Saroj

tonykuttan
20th May 2010, 10:58 PM
Thnx saroj anna 4 the review

Vinu
20th May 2010, 11:06 PM
Thanx chetta

cinebuff
20th May 2010, 11:10 PM
Thnx Saroj 4 the well written review....
Reps added :cheers:

double chankan
20th May 2010, 11:12 PM
review vayichilla, i have to see the movie if possible on this week end...

nettooran
20th May 2010, 11:12 PM
Kites Review

Thanks aliyaaa...:cheers:

Vinu
20th May 2010, 11:17 PM
review vayichilla, i have to see the movie if possible on this week end...

Njan sunday kaanum..

Mr.Lonely
20th May 2010, 11:24 PM
thanks saroj :)

Chirakkal Sreehari
20th May 2010, 11:24 PM
Thanks Saroj Kumar....appo pinne thirakkittu kanendalle?

kuttoos
20th May 2010, 11:44 PM
thanks saroj anna

dubaikaaran
20th May 2010, 11:53 PM
Thanks saroj bhai..

Abhi
20th May 2010, 11:57 PM
thanks saroj..hope undo....

~Saji~
20th May 2010, 11:59 PM
Thanks Miss Sarojam...

Freddy
21st May 2010, 12:04 AM
thanks sarojem :kayyadi::kayyadi:

kiroo
21st May 2010, 03:57 AM
thanks saroj bhai..!!

second positive...:ayyo:

Niranjan
21st May 2010, 04:06 AM
Thanks Saroj :scratch:

appu
21st May 2010, 04:10 AM
thanx for the review....njan story okke kidilan ayirikum enna vichariche.....pakshe....

Vascodagama
21st May 2010, 05:53 AM
thanks saroj annaaaaaa,,,,,

kuttappan
21st May 2010, 05:57 AM
Thanx Saroj......

sertzui
21st May 2010, 06:07 AM
Thanks Saroj. Will watch the movie hopefully on Sunday.
Review onnu odichu nokiyathe ollu.

Fontu
21st May 2010, 06:33 AM
I think the title "Kites" is well suited for the script. It starts with an impressive flight, then looses the control somewhere in-between and finally it goes out of control with a broken string.
Saroj annan...:dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer:Thanku very much Saroj anna..

Chakochi
21st May 2010, 07:26 AM
Thnx...Saroj Bhai.....

sivaraman
21st May 2010, 07:27 AM
thanx saroj annaa

Krrish
21st May 2010, 07:39 AM
thanks saroj bhai.... muvattupuzhayil rls und... njanum kaanum inno,naaleyo....

Mallik Bhai
21st May 2010, 07:50 AM
thanks saroj...as expected...:nallatha:

Pankajakshan
21st May 2010, 08:31 AM
Thanks saroj..kandekkaam :)

kpvineeth
21st May 2010, 08:37 AM
thanks saroj kumar.

EmmeS
21st May 2010, 09:24 AM
Thanks Saroj... Good Review...:kidu:

navarannan
21st May 2010, 10:40 AM
Positives
---------

:surprise:
Thanks sarojam, nice review.

Hari Kuttan
21st May 2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks anna.. Barbara ullondu chilappo rakshappedumayirkkum alle :pranthan:

~~Meesha Madhavan~~
21st May 2010, 12:24 PM
Thanks Saroj

lalistheonlySuperStar
21st May 2010, 12:28 PM
thanks sarojini thathe :lol:

Saroj Kumar
21st May 2010, 01:04 PM
Welcome All. Barbarayude bare breast ennu paranjathu athinte side view maathramaanu. Athu pratheekshichu aarum hindi version kaananda. :lol: Athine kaalum enikkishtapettathu kangana ranautinte thigh show aanu. Enthoru saadhanam ente appo :o

SURU BHAI
21st May 2010, 01:09 PM
thankss machaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Mallik Bhai
21st May 2010, 01:59 PM
actually read ur review fully after watching the film sarojbhai...worst climax? well, what do u suggest otherwise...i too thot it was apt that they titled the movie Kites!:peace: was wondering all this while y wud someone name his movies just "Kites"!:nallatha:

Saroj Kumar
21st May 2010, 02:05 PM
actually read ur review fully after watching the film sarojbhai...worst climax? well, what do u suggest otherwise...i too thot it was apt that they titled the movie Kites!:peace: was wondering all this while y wud someone name his movies just "Kites"!:nallatha:
Enikkathu kandittu feel cheythathu escapism ennanu. Athaayathu katha engane theerkkanam ennariyaatha writers(Anurag Basu/Robin Bhatt) ingane oru maargam thiranjeduthu. Allenkil oru deliberate attempt to make it different.

Mallik Bhai
21st May 2010, 02:07 PM
Enikkathu kandittu feel cheythathu escapism ennanu. Athaayathu katha engane theerkkanam ennariyaatha writers(Anurag Basu/Robin Bhatt) ingane oru maargam thiranjeduthu. Allenkil oru deliberate attempt to make it different.
hmm anganem parayaam...pakshe aa title vechu nokkumbo it seems fine, ok i don't wanna give away more for those who haven't watched it yet:sureshgopi:!

Saroj Kumar
21st May 2010, 02:11 PM
hmm anganem parayaam...pakshe aa title vechu nokkumbo it seems fine, ok i don't wanna give away more for those who haven't watched it yet:sureshgopi:!
Me too, athondaanu spoiler vechu parayaathirunne. Enkilum annan chodichondu oru kaaryam koode parayaam. Velukkuvolaam vellam koriyittu padikkal kondu kalam ittudacha effect thonni. Ithrayum kashtapettu prasnangaliloode kadannu vannavar ingane oru situationil ingane okke cheyyuvo ennu thonni poyi.

Mallik Bhai
21st May 2010, 02:14 PM
yeah saroj, i too felt the same for a few seconds...ngaa pottu...as i mentioned in my review, the film doesn't deserve much of a dissection which was evident from the time the trailers came! i was surprised reading that u were impressed by those poor promos....:thanuppu:that was actually the point my expectations came down!

Saroj Kumar
21st May 2010, 02:17 PM
yeah saroj, i too felt the same for a few seconds...ngaa pottu...as i mentioned in my review, the film doesn't deserve much of a dissection which was evident from the time the trailers came! i was surprised reading that u were impressed by those poor promos....:thanuppu:that was actually the point my expectations came down!
yeap. Creative freedom ennorennam ullondu athangu marakkaam.

Mallik Bhai
21st May 2010, 02:20 PM
yeap. Creative freedom ennorennam ullondu athangu marakkaam.
yeah, n let's hope that Raavan will throw up interesting things to analyse, discuss, n dissect...:Yahoo:ur avtar, Mani sir:dancer:

Saroj Kumar
21st May 2010, 02:22 PM
yeah, n let's hope that Raavan will throw up interesting things to analyse, discuss, n dissect...:Yahoo:ur avtar, Mani sir:dancer:
Mani sir :kayyadi: Innale trailer undaayirunnu. Kidilam.

Stephen Ronald
21st May 2010, 04:42 PM
Thanx Machaa. Nannnayittundu review :clap:

Kumbidi
21st May 2010, 08:28 PM
thanks machambi..

Ali Imran
22nd May 2010, 12:22 AM
thnks sarojam

Maharajav
23rd May 2010, 12:49 PM
thanks saroj..review kollaam..

Saroj Kumar
23rd May 2010, 02:49 PM
Thanks machans. Thanks for the reps cinebuff, Indian, Maharajan, Kiran Machans :kayyadi:

Hari Kuttan
23rd May 2010, 02:58 PM
Ithu VTVkkum applicable aano?

Saroj Kumar
23rd May 2010, 03:01 PM
Ithu VTVkkum applicable aano?
VTVkku athu applicable alla, Kaaranam randu tharathilumulla endings athil thanne kaanikkunnundu, ille?

Hari Kuttan
23rd May 2010, 03:10 PM
VTVkku athu applicable alla, Kaaranam randu tharathilumulla endings athil thanne kaanikkunnundu, ille?
Athu thanne, I'm just asking athu different akkan vendi cheythathayi thonniyo ennu? :drunken:

Pinne ethokke Shakspearean tragedies thottu follow cheyyunna pattern alle.. Atleast they were desperate.. Athu usual happy ending ayirunnenkil alle kooduthal escapist avuka? :? Agree climax was bit cliched, but worst in the recent past? :fubar:

Saroj Kumar
23rd May 2010, 03:21 PM
Athu thanne, I'm just asking athu different akkan vendi cheythathayi thonniyo ennu? :drunken:

Pinne ethokke Shakspearean tragedies thottu follow cheyyunna pattern alle.. Atleast they were desperate.. Athu usual happy ending ayirunnenkil alle kooduthal escapist avuka? :? Agree climax was bit cliched, but worst in the recent past? :fubar:
Thonni, because tragic ending ulla climaxes onnum adutha kaalathu hindiyil vannillallo. As usual happy ending aayirunnenkil koodi athu valare different aakkamaayirunnu, ille? angane ethra ethrayo cinemakal vannirikkunnu.

Brother
23rd May 2010, 03:23 PM
thanks..sarojam.:kollaam:

Hari Kuttan
23rd May 2010, 03:30 PM
Thonni, because tragic ending ulla climaxes onnum adutha kaalathu hindiyil vannillallo. As usual happy ending aayirunnenkil koodi athu valare different aakkamaayirunnu, ille? angane ethra ethrayo cinemakal vannirikkunnu.

Ethaanu aa films? :roll: Enikku palathum insulting-the-intelligence movies aayittanu thonniyathu.. VB, Anurag kashyap movies okke mathram alle exceptions.. And I didn't expect such high standards from a Rakesh Roshan prodn. anyways..

I'm saying it may not be the best, but still it's supposed to be a tragedy.. So theres nothing that bad about it.. However hard they try they can't escape from the bookie guys right..? So not really over the top I'd say.. They don't have much of an option.. It's kinda justifiable..

Saroj Kumar
23rd May 2010, 03:37 PM
Ethaanu aa films? :roll: Enikku palathum insulting-the-intelligence movies aayittanu thonniyathu.. VB, Anurag kashyap movies okke mathram alle exceptions.. And I didn't expect such high standards from a Rakesh Roshan prodn. anyways..

I'm saying it may not be the best, but still it's supposed to be a tragedy.. So theres nothing that bad about it.. However hard they try they can't escape from the bookie guys right..? So not really over the top I'd say.. They don't have much of an option.. It's kinda justifiable..
Recent being Dev D. Paa, tragic ending aanenkil koode we expect that. Ee tragedy varunnathokke high standard aano :roll:

If they didn't have an option they would have killed themselves much earlier, right. :biggrin: At least they could have died together.

Hari Kuttan
23rd May 2010, 03:44 PM
Recent being Dev D. Paa, tragic ending aanenkil koode we expect that. Ee tragedy varunnathokke high standard aano :roll:

If they didn't have an option they would have killed themselves much earlier, right. :biggrin: At least they could have died together.
Haha.. Angane ayirunnel padam veruthu poyene.. Annan adicha dialogue njan adichene.. :lol: Barbara and hrithik while together they always had hope.. Pinne hrithik avasanam vare jeevikunnathum aa hopeil aanu, that he'd meet her..

Paa motham kandilla, kurachu kandappo thanne mathiyayi.. Found it cheesy beyond my tolerance.. Athu kondu no comments..

Tragedy varunnathellam high standards alla.. But worst in recent past ennu paranjondu paranjatha.. :)

Antony Moses
23rd May 2010, 04:03 PM
Paleri manikyam pole. Branthane nerathe kandirinuvengil kadha ara manikoor kondu theernene. :lol:

Hari Kuttan
23rd May 2010, 05:17 PM
Paleri manikyam pole. Branthane nerathe kandirinuvengil kadha ara manikoor kondu theernene. :lol:
:valiya_chiri:

Saroj Kumar
23rd May 2010, 05:40 PM
Haha.. Angane ayirunnel padam veruthu poyene.. Annan adicha dialogue njan adichene.. :lol: Barbara and hrithik while together they always had hope.. Pinne hrithik avasanam vare jeevikunnathum aa hopeil aanu, that he'd meet her..

Paa motham kandilla, kurachu kandappo thanne mathiyayi.. Found it cheesy beyond my tolerance.. Athu kondu no comments..

Tragedy varunnathellam high standards alla.. But worst in recent past ennu paranjondu paranjatha.. :)
Yeap, See, giving up is easy but to live and that too believing that your love will come back to you is tough. Ivide athu kondaanu njan escapism ennu paranje. Aa tragic ending polum aalukalil impact undakkunnilla. Njan kande athe divasam night show ente friend kandu. Climaxinokke purakil kootta chiriyaayirunnu ennanu avan paranje. Devdas(SRK,AR) kaanumbo angane nammal cheyyumo?

Paa cheesy aayi thonniyo, yeah at times. Enkilum nalla oru attempt aayirunnu. Worst in recent past ennu paranjathu pala senseukalil aanu.

double chankan
24th May 2010, 04:42 PM
wasted kankana totally... cant really figure out what excited the Roshan's in this script??? and that too at such a big expense and time...

waste of time for everybody involved

Saroj Kumar
24th May 2010, 04:48 PM
wasted kankana totally... cant really figure out what excited the Roshan's in this script??? and that too at such a big expense and time...

waste of time for everybody involved
True. Padam kandittu DC theri vilikkaan vannathaano ennu karuthiyaanu page open cheythe :p

FRIEND
24th May 2010, 04:55 PM
Thanks saroj bhai....

Reliancinte kure money poyi kittum ithiloode ennanarinjathu....etc channelil release day ithinte oru review kanichirunnu rathriyil.....koode indiayile pramukha distributorsumayi teletalkum nadathi....maharashtrayil okke padam opening day thanne 40-45% aanu kittiyathu....reason - thalennu nadanna preview showyude report, pinne padathinte promo okke oru videsha padam aayi janangalkku feel chaithu..padam van disaster aakananu chance.

Saroj Kumar
24th May 2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks saroj bhai....

Reliancinte kure money poyi kittum ithiloode ennanarinjathu....etc channelil release day ithinte oru review kanichirunnu rathriyil.....koode indiayile pramukha distributorsumayi teletalkum nadathi....maharashtrayil okke padam opening day thanne 40-45% aanu kittiyathu....reason - thalennu nadanna preview showyude report, pinne padathinte promo okke oru videsha padam aayi janangalkku feel chaithu..padam van disaster aakananu chance.
Pakshe international audienceinu padam ishtapedunnu ennanu kettathu. At least aa oru prayojanam enkilum kittyaal mathi.

PARAMU
24th May 2010, 05:07 PM
thanks saroj

Hari Kuttan
24th May 2010, 05:53 PM
Yeap, See, giving up is easy but to live and that too believing that your love will come back to you is tough. Ivide athu kondaanu njan escapism ennu paranje. Aa tragic ending polum aalukalil impact undakkunnilla. Njan kande athe divasam night show ente friend kandu. Climaxinokke purakil kootta chiriyaayirunnu ennanu avan paranje. Devdas(SRK,AR) kaanumbo angane nammal cheyyumo?

Paa cheesy aayi thonniyo, yeah at times. Enkilum nalla oru attempt aayirunnu. Worst in recent past ennu paranjathu pala senseukalil aanu.

Impact undakkiyo illayo ennathu, yep the character development was subpar... Athokke sammathikkunnu, but angane oru climax ayathukondu mathram escapist ennu vilikkan pattilla - it's a tragedy, mikka tragedies'lum ingane okke thanneyanu ending, alle? Can't label it escapist..

Yeah Devdas etc char development was good, athukondu angine feel cheythillennu mathram.. :)

Alphi
24th May 2010, 06:22 PM
Thanks saroj..

Eazy Jozy
24th May 2010, 06:38 PM
Thanxxxxxxxx