PDA

View Full Version : BHRAMARAM: Dino's n' SG's Take...Belated!!!

Mallik Bhai
10th July 2009, 01:59 PM
Theater: Coimbatore Carnatic
Showtime: 6:30 pm

We almost missed watching this film, because we had planned to see it when in Kerala last week, but could not. Yesterday, was charted as the last day of Bhramaram in Coimbatore Carnatic, and we both somehow made it on time for the evening show. The first thing we told to each other after the show was we were grateful that we watched it on the big screen atleast now instead of waiting for the DVD to be out!

It is a belated review, so I do not think I need to go into the details of the story here which most of us here very well know by now, and the less we know of the content of this film, the better the watching experience. So, I think I will devote this review to analyze the technical and acting departments.

TECHNICAL

Blessy: It is palpable to understand the experience this man went through in penning this story of a stranger who disturbs the till-then peaceful existence of his 2 childhood chums! Though not his best in his still-young career, the way Blessy has conceptualized this slim theme n turned it into a thriller-cum-emotional-cum-road film is truly commendable. In doing so, he has given malayalam cinema a hitherto unseen visual treat kicking off from the terror stricken Coimbatore to the hilly terrains of Munnar. This is a genre that has not been tried much in Malayalam Cinema, and it is great to see that Blessy has challenged himself out of his comfort confines, i.e., family films, and come up with a genre-breaking film and made it successful. Though he does show his oft-repeated tendency to drift off from the plot here too, Ajayan Vincent's camerawork and the master actor's presence on the screen in many such scenes manage to divert us from the inadequacies. There are a few black marks still, though, like the selection of Suresh Menon as the second most important character in the film. Whatever be the merits, to me, he was a gross miscast! So was the choice of Bhoomika as heroine and the child artist which dilutes the effect of the flashback. But for these very obvious flaws, Blessy has emerged like a phoenix from the ashes of Calcutta News. Let all malayalam cinema lovers join in raising a toast to Blessy, the real future master director of Malayalam Cinema! Brilliant work!

Ajayan Vincent: For the first time, I heard exclamatory "oohs, aahs, n wows" from the audience in the theater for just the scenic beauty, and the scene I am talking about is the jeep passing through the intersecting road with the hills as the backdrop! That one scene made Ajayan Vincent the star amongst the audience that was present! Without his exceptional camerawork, Bhramaram would not have been the film that it is! Ajayan is the perfect foil here, getting the viewer involved in Blessy's tale of betrayal, revenge, tragedy. Exceptional n' Award worthy!

Mohan Sitara: The songs here are not exceptional, but fitting for the situations. "Kuzhaloothum" sounds familiar and resembles some Ilayaraja tunes of yore, but is worth listening. "Annaarakkannaa" is my favorite though! Good! I am not sure if mohan sitara himself has done the BGM, but definitely ranks as one of the best in a malayalam film for a while and adds to the mood of the film!

Vijay Shankar: The editor who I think could have done a better job in the first half, especially in the first 30 minutes gets into the swing of things once the film progresses! The second half is racy, edge of the seat stuff and Vijay's editing does take the credit here. A job well done!

PERFORMANCES

Suresh Menon: I do not know what the public verdict is on his acting in this film, but to me, in the role of the main character's childhood pal, this actor is a gross miscast. He is particularly gawky in the initial scenes as the family man, and it only gets worse later. There are only two static expressions on his face, once he realizes the true colors of his friend's character and they are Fear and Shock. Okay, one can argue that that is what he is supposed to portray, but sorry just keeping a static expressionless face is not called acting, Mr. Suresh Menon, and you are better off doing those mindless comic roles in inane hindi films! What a wasted opportunity, and to think originally it was Jayaram who was slated to play this role...what a miss! Average!

Muralikrishnan: As Alex Verghese, the second pal of the main character, Muralikrishnan shows that he is a professional. Measured expressions, gud dialogue delivery, n the personality, this actor though in a miniscule role proves that he has a lot to offer to Malayalam Cinema. Well done!

Bhoomika n' the child artist: The two main minus points of the film are these two actors without an iota of doubt. The out of sync dubbing does not help matters. The inept performance of these two hugely dilutes the emotional impact of the flashback scenes and that is a huge blow indeed. Poor!

KPAC Lalita: By the time the film reached its climax, I had already forgotten this mother character of KPAC because it was the usual 2-3 scenes caring mother, but one scene in the climax and you see the impact that a great actress can make even with 1 scene!!! Truly Veteran Stuff from KPAC, Hats Off!

Lakshmi Gopalaswamy: A small role, not so important in the film's context but enacted well by Lakshmi, and her quality and experience shines through in the scenes where she easily outscores Suresh Menon in their combination scenes. Good!

Now to MOHANLAL, our beloved Lalettan, no, I did not see Mohanlal the star anywhere in the film. As the mysterious alias character Jose and then the eccentric, mischevious, lovable, grief stricken n vendetta-filled Sivankutty, it is only the character that one sees from beginning till the end, and the fact that the character has stayed on with me even after 1 day of watching the film and will do so for days to come proves the calibre of acting that is on display here. Nope, I did not see Lalettan act, he was just living as the character throughout. The film, though dependable on many of the factors mentioned above, is carried solely n surely on his broad shoulders by this Acting Hercules! I do not have enough words and I do not think I am fit enough to pass a comment on this performance, I rest my case by saying LONG LIVE THIS ACTING LEGEND!!!

DINO'S TAKE: An edge of the seat genre-breaking film with a performance by Lal I dare ask any Indian actor to match!!!

SG'S TAKE: First half was strictly average, but a great second half and an amazing climax topped by performances of KPAC Lalita n' the ONE N' ONLY LALETTAN!

Mallik Bhai
10th July 2009, 02:00 PM
One more thing, friends, SSle ente aadhyathe movie review! hope u enjoy reading it...

Arjun
10th July 2009, 02:04 PM
thanks Dino ,
though belated , an excellently written review .....

Abhi
10th July 2009, 02:05 PM
woww...great...thanks dino...we writen review......

Arjun
10th July 2009, 02:05 PM
One more thing, friends, SSle ente aadhyathe movie review! hope u enjoy reading it...

sure man .. it is gr8 :kudi::kudi::kudi:

Niranjan
10th July 2009, 02:06 PM
Wow....what a review machanzzzz........excellent :kidilam:
Ennanu coimbatore film release ayathu ?

Mallik Bhai
10th July 2009, 02:08 PM
thanx all for the comments....

3rdnu rls aayi niranjan bhai...kurukshetrayum madambiyum ivide 3 weeks odi..endhinu, SAJ polum 2 weeks, this they r changing it after the first week!!! anyaayam, but i heard frm theater guys it myt b back after the hindi film Shortkut plays out for this week!

KasinathaN
10th July 2009, 02:09 PM
Thanks macha :kidu:

Robert Langdon
10th July 2009, 02:10 PM
Thanx Dino anna.... Well written review:clap:

Niranjan
10th July 2009, 02:12 PM
thanx all for the comments....

3rdnu rls aayi niranjan bhai...kurukshetrayum madambiyum ivide 3 weeks odi..endhinu, SAJ polum 2 weeks, this they r changing it after the first week!!! anyaayam, but i heard frm theater guys it myt b back after the hindi film Shortkut plays out for this week!

Okay..ottaykkano poyathu..engane undu WOM and theatre response?

Malayalee
10th July 2009, 02:21 PM
Superb Review..

Thnx Dazzling Dino..

Sg :hoh:

praveenshankar
10th July 2009, 02:26 PM

Now to MOHANLAL, our beloved Lalettan, no, I did not see Mohanlal the star anywhere in the film. As the mysterious alias character Jose and then the eccentric, mischevious, lovable, grief stricken n vendetta-filled Sivankutty, it is only the character that one sees from beginning till the end, and the fact that the character has stayed on with me even after 1 day of watching the film and will do so for days to come proves the calibre of acting that is on display here. Nope, I did not see Lalettan act, he was just living as the character throughout. The film, though dependable on many of the factors mentioned above, is carried solely n surely on his broad shoulders by this Acting Hercules! I do not have enough words and I do not think I am fit enough to pass a comment on this performance, I rest my case by saying LONG LIVE THIS ACTING LEGEND!!!

DINO'S TAKE: An edge of the seat genre-breaking film with a performance by Lal I dare ask any Indian actor to match!!!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Thanks Dino bhai. Well written review.

Sree
10th July 2009, 02:28 PM
thanks dino annaa...nannaayittondu

sureshmenonte role jayaraminu offer cheythappo moopparkku phaagyadevatha cheyyanamathre :pukel: ..kuttam parayaan pattoola...phaagyadevatha veendum success koduthille angerkku :valiya_chiri:

Hari Kuttan
10th July 2009, 02:29 PM
Dino anna danx :cheers:

Tony
10th July 2009, 02:31 PM
Dino and SG are back...:dancing::dancing:

Thanks for the review...

Hari Kuttan

sureshmenonte role jayaraminu offer cheythappo moopparkku phaagyadevatha cheyyanamathre :pukel: ..kuttam parayaan pattoola...phaagyadevatha veendum success koduthille angerkku :valiya_chiri:
Angorkku side rolil thalparyam illannu tonnunnu :podey:

BTW ee rolil sasikumarine pariganichirunno? Angane evideyo vayicho oru orma? :?

Niranjan

nayikayum kuttiyum ozhike bakkiyellavarum avarude role bhangiyayi cheythille:tongue:

Mallik Bhai
10th July 2009, 02:32 PM
Okay..ottaykkano poyathu..engane undu WOM and theatre response?
wom is truly gud....ellaarum sthabdharaayi purathirangunnundaairunnu...mostly family crowd....

ottaykkaano alleyo poyathenn thread titleil thanne undallo...review onnum vaayichille machaa?

critic
10th July 2009, 02:32 PM

What a wasted opportunity, and to think originally it was Jayaram who was slated to play this role...what a miss! Average!

Acting Hercules! I do not have enough words and I do not think I am fit enough to pass a comment on this performance, I rest my case by saying LONG LIVE THIS ACTING LEGEND!!!

Great review, Dino Bhai.
Was so happy to read it. Is a treat to go through.
And one really intesting thing for me is that I walked out of the theater and told my friend that Suresh role shud have been done by Jayaram. I was not aware this earlier planned cast. I came to know only now. Thats a real surprise for me.
And about Lal, he just keeps haunting me even weeks later, daring me to go back there and watch it one more time. But I do not know whether I will be able to take it one more time. Its that painful!!

Hari Kuttan
10th July 2009, 02:33 PM
Superb Review..

Thnx Dazzling Dino..

Sg :hoh:
Sahadharminiye anu SG ennu paranjath :puka:

Niranjan
10th July 2009, 02:35 PM
wom is truly gud....ellaarum sthabdharaayi purathirangunnundaairunnu...mostly family crowd....

ottaykkaano alleyo poyathenn thread titleil thanne undallo...review onnum vaayichille machaa?

Satyam paranja SG's take entnannu ithu vare pidikittiyilla :sankadam:

Mallik Bhai
10th July 2009, 02:35 PM

jayaramne blame cheyyaanum pattilla...sathyan padathile hero chance pullide careeril ippo important aairunnu...pakshe idh rendum onnich shoot cheydhadhum jayaraminte dates kittaadhe poyadhum malayali audiencenu oru nalla avasaram nashtappeduthi rendpereyum onnichu kaanaan...

Mallik Bhai
10th July 2009, 02:36 PM
Satyam paranja SG's take entnannu ithu vare pidikittiyilla :sankadam:
ente faaryade perinte short form aanu SG...

Niranjan
10th July 2009, 02:38 PM
ente faaryade perinte short form aanu SG...

appadiya...Btb Suresh menon average ayano thonniyathu...

I felt suresh menon and murali did thier part well...:kalakki:

aa kutti unsahikkable ayirunnu..pinne bhoomika just ok:happy:

SuryaVanshi
10th July 2009, 02:39 PM
Thanks Dino Bhai ....:thanks:

Coimbatore mohanlal fans association unda ? ilenkil orenam thudangu...:nallatha:

Mallik Bhai
10th July 2009, 02:42 PM
Thanks Dino Bhai ....:thanks:

Coimbatore mohanlal fans association unda ? ilenkil orenam thudangu...:nallatha:

adhokke naattil ulladhinekkaalum kidu aayitt ivideyund bhai...ente SAJ reviewil njaan mention cheydhirunnu...cheriya thothil panjaarimelavum, box vannappo pooja okke undaairunnu ivide first day.....aa atmosphere keralathile eadhoru theaterileppole thanne aairunnu FDFS ivideyum!:nallatha:

Mallik Bhai
10th July 2009, 02:44 PM
appadiya...Btb Suresh menon average ayano thonniyathu...

I felt suresh menon and murali did thier part well...:kalakki:

aa kutti unsahikkable ayirunnu..pinne bhoomika just ok:happy:

murali kalakki...bhaaviyund...suresh menon endho njangalkk randperkkum pidichilla...naattil poyappo ellaa channelslum pullide interviews aairunnu, appo njanga vijaarichu ingeru njerichenn, performance kandappo :kanneer:

Hari Kuttan
10th July 2009, 02:46 PM
murali kalakki...bhaaviyund...suresh menon endho njangalkk randperkkum pidichilla...naattil poyappo ellaa channelslum pullide interviews aairunnu, appo njanga vijaarichu ingeru njerichenn, performance kandappo :kanneer:
Song and scenes kandappole thonni ingeru chalamakkum enn.. :tomato:

Mallik Bhai
10th July 2009, 02:48 PM
Song and scenes kandappole thonni ingeru chalamakkum enn.. :tomato:
nee bhayangaranalle...adhokke kaanumbozhe ninakk manassilaavum....:chekuthan:

Sootran
10th July 2009, 02:48 PM
Aariya kanjy pazhankanji .

athu kondu thanks Parayunnilla

Kumbidi
10th July 2009, 02:49 PM
thanks machaa...
Great review......:clap:

Hari Kuttan
10th July 2009, 02:50 PM
nee bhayangaranalle...adhokke kaanumbozhe ninakk manassilaavum....:chekuthan:
Pinnallathe.. :deviltalk:

Niranjan
10th July 2009, 02:51 PM
Pinnallathe.. :deviltalk:

ningal padam kanan theatre povaronnum ille? :):

bramaram poyi kandu onnu karanjittokke varoo

Mallik Bhai
10th July 2009, 02:53 PM

avan jeevithathil karanjittulladh onn janichuveenappozhum pinne ivideyokke gettogethers nadakkumbozhum maathramaaa:punk:

Niranjan
10th July 2009, 02:54 PM
avan jeevithathil karanjittulladh onn janichuveenappozhum pinne ivideyokke gettogethers nadakkumbozhum maathramaaa:punk:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mallik Bhai
10th July 2009, 02:54 PM
Aariya kanjy pazhankanji .

athu kondu thanks Parayunnilla
oru thavana, orotta thavana....

SuryaVanshi
10th July 2009, 02:55 PM
adhokke naattil ulladhinekkaalum kidu aayitt ivideyund bhai...ente SAJ reviewil njaan mention cheydhirunnu...cheriya thothil panjaarimelavum, box vannappo pooja okke undaairunnu ivide first day.....aa atmosphere keralathile eadhoru theaterileppole thanne aairunnu FDFS ivideyum!:nallatha:

athanu athu mathi coimbatureil lalettan tharangam....:kidilam::gdance:

Tony
10th July 2009, 02:56 PM
In chennai its released today. Tomorrow we are going to watch it.

Niranjan
10th July 2009, 02:56 PM
athanu athu mathi coimbatureil lalettan tharangam....:kidilam::gdance:

machanz..........avtaril aranu?:?

Mallik Bhai
10th July 2009, 02:57 PM

rock on tonykuttan!!!

SuryaVanshi
10th July 2009, 02:57 PM

:musicus: chey inu thane kandu review+photos idu...

Mallik Bhai
10th July 2009, 02:58 PM

thala thirinju poya oru nalla manushyanaanu....:njam_njam:

SuryaVanshi

Thala ajith in new avatar Asal :peace:

Pankajakshan
Kalakkan review. Nalla flow und languageil. It was a treat reading ur review. Pukazhthi parayuvalla . Too good!!

Hari Kuttan
10th July 2009, 02:59 PM
:hbang: ..

Hari Kuttan
10th July 2009, 02:59 PM

Sahacharyam athinu anuvadikkunnilla anna :karachil:

Mallik Bhai
10th July 2009, 03:00 PM
Kalakkan review. Nalla flow und languageil. It was a treat reading ur review. Pukazhthi parayuvalla . Too good!!

thanx for ur gracious comments panks....

Malayalee
10th July 2009, 03:01 PM

koppu.. 3 weeks kazhinjittum bangalore release cheythitilla.. :kolleda: :kolleda:

Niranjan
10th July 2009, 03:02 PM

Oru total change feel cheyyunnu :yes:

Hari Kuttan
10th July 2009, 03:02 PM
koppu.. 3 weeks kazhinjittum bangalore release cheythitilla.. :kolleda: :kolleda:
Ranjith annan parayunnath banglore theatersil ninnanu adhikam vyaja cdkaludeyum udbavam ennanu.. So dat might b da reason.. for the late rls :unsure:

Hari Kuttan
10th July 2009, 03:03 PM
Ingerippo ee kolathil aaya :roll:

aara ee padathinte director:scratch:

Niranjan
10th July 2009, 03:05 PM
Ranjith annan parayunnath banglore theatersil ninnanu adhikam vyaja cdkaludeyum udbavam ennanu.. So dat might b da reason.. for the late rls :unsure:

Dubai yil ninnu varunnatrayum kanilla enthayalum :speechless:

Mallik Bhai
10th July 2009, 03:06 PM
Ingerippo ee kolathil aaya :roll:

aara ee padathinte director:scratch:

adhinu ninakkendheredey? ninakk padangal kaanaanulla sahacharyangal illallo!

Malayalee
10th July 2009, 03:09 PM
Ranjith annan parayunnath banglore theatersil ninnanu adhikam vyaja cdkaludeyum udbavam ennanu.. So dat might b da reason.. for the late rls :unsure: athu pandu.. passenger okke vjajan irangiyittu two weeks kazhijnitta bangloril padam release aaythu... :kopam:

mazha onnum illa ippo..

ini bhootam aayirikkum aadyam varunath.. :tomato::tomato:

Shambu
10th July 2009, 03:09 PM
.......... a performance by Lal I dare ask any Indian actor to match!!![/B]

[/QUOTE]

Great one ....:dancing::dancing:

Tony
10th July 2009, 03:14 PM
:musicus: chey inu thane kandu review+photos idu...

Innu thanne idan aanengil pattum... pakshe ottayku poyi kanendi varum... nale aanengil oru 5-10 ennathine kondu poyi kanikkan pattum... appol labham athanu...:):

Hari Kuttan
10th July 2009, 03:15 PM
adhinu ninakkendheredey? ninakk padangal kaanaanulla sahacharyangal illallo!
Tamil padangal erangi 1 weekinullil netil erangum :musicus:

Hari Kuttan
10th July 2009, 03:16 PM
athu pandu.. passenger okke vjajan irangiyittu two weeks kazhijnitta bangloril padam release aaythu... :kopam:

mazha onnum illa ippo..

ini bhootam aayirikkum aadyam varunath.. :tomato::tomato:
:DJ::DJ::DJ:

Mallik Bhai
10th July 2009, 03:18 PM
Tamil padangal erangi 1 weekinullil netil erangum :musicus:
netil ninnu downloadi kaanaanaayadh kond thanneyaa choyiche, nee theateril poyi kaashonnum mudakki kaanunnillallo, appo director aaru actor aaru ennonnum anyeshikkanda...chumma kanderu!:nakku:

Sree
10th July 2009, 03:20 PM

:ennekollu: :ennekollu:

Nick Nack
10th July 2009, 03:24 PM
Thanx a lot for the review Dino... Well written... we can feel the joy you expirenced from your writing... Keep it going ...

sertzui
10th July 2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks Dino.

Mallik Bhai
10th July 2009, 03:46 PM
Thanx a lot for the review Dino... Well written... we can feel the joy you expirenced from your writing... Keep it going ...

Thanks Dino.

welcome guys...

n yep mariachi...i love writing...nice 2note that u enjoyed readin it too!

Brother
10th July 2009, 04:17 PM
thanks macha
good review

double chankan
10th July 2009, 05:18 PM
:cheers: :cheers:

Dino annan.......

lal annan
blessy annan
ajayan annan

keeeeeeeeeeee jai

Mallik Bhai
10th July 2009, 05:31 PM
:cheers: :cheers:

Dino annan.......

lal annan
blessy annan
ajayan annan

keeeeeeeeeeee jai
:cheers::cheers:

double chankan keeeeeeee jai:cheers::cheers:

gujav
10th July 2009, 05:50 PM
Kollam ...well written review!! Thank you Dino and SG..:kidu:
Expecting EPB review frm you soon.....Pettan ayikotte....chellapol pinne ee padam kanaan kitti enn varilla :puka:

double chankan
10th July 2009, 06:55 PM
Great review, Dino Bhai.
Was so happy to read it. Is a treat to go through.
And one really intesting thing for me is that I walked out of the theater and told my friend that Suresh role shud have been done by Jayaram. I was not aware this earlier planned cast. I came to know only now. Thats a real surprise for me.
And about Lal, he just keeps haunting me even weeks later, daring me to go back there and watch it one more time. But I do not know whether I will be able to take it one more time. Its that painful!!

lalettan :salut: :salut::cheers:

double chankan
10th July 2009, 06:57 PM

:Yahoo::Yahoo::Yahoo:

last g2ginu annu njan vilichu,, phone eduthilla..
pittenu sms fever aarunnu ennu..

g2g nadakunnu ennarinjapozhe pani pidichu

Maharajav
10th July 2009, 06:59 PM
dino annan:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:
Kalip rvw....

Ali Imran
10th July 2009, 06:59 PM
welcome dino anna.........and thks 4 the review

~Saji~
10th July 2009, 07:10 PM
Thanks Dino :cheers:

Transporter
10th July 2009, 07:55 PM
thanks nice review

CiD DaSaN
10th July 2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks Dino bhai...wery well written :kidilam:

Kuttisrank
10th July 2009, 08:54 PM
thanks Dinodazz

UdayaBhanU
10th July 2009, 08:59 PM
thanks dino for da daazling review....:good:

Mr.Lonely
10th July 2009, 09:09 PM
Was waiting for ur review :cheers: thanks Dino

saharapookal
10th July 2009, 10:27 PM
THanks dino anna.... :virattal:

harianna
11th July 2009, 01:45 AM
gud review macha......

kiroo
11th July 2009, 01:52 AM
well written..thanks DD...

saharapookal
11th July 2009, 01:59 AM
well written..thanks DD...

Hellonnnnnnnn...........padam kanda..??

kiroo
11th July 2009, 02:10 AM
Hellonnnnnnnn...........padam kanda..??

eathu bhoothamaa???:chekuthan:

pinnillathe...kandille review??:thalarnnu:

vincentgomas
11th July 2009, 04:16 AM
Wow! what a review macha..thnx

Sir Alex
11th July 2009, 04:25 AM
thanks Annnnoooi

sertzui
11th July 2009, 04:43 AM
Mammootty's comic act

It seems once in a while Mammootty wants to reassure himself that he can handle comedy well, otherwise, one can't think of any other reason as to why he would do a Malayalam film like Ee Pattanathil Bhootham.
Agreed, that it is a fantasy film trying to lure kiddos along with their elders into the theatre. But, an actor of his stature can never be proud of such a film appearing in his filmography.
Director Johnny Antony and writers Siby K Thomas and Uday Krishna who gave us Thuruppu Gulan, a product for mass consumption with the star in the lead not very long back, are behind this too.
As for the premise, there is hardly anything to dwell upon. It just takes a leaf out of an old fairy tale where a good hearted genie is rescued from a wicked magician by some harried kids working in circus. The genie takes the form of Jimmy Uncle (Mammootty), a multi-talented circus artist who is in jail for a murder that he did not commit.
The narrative is full of wisecracks and witty one-liners that divert our attention from the implausibility of the plot initially. But, it seems to drag after a while.
It is Mammootty's show all the way. And, we are not complaining; because he is good most of the times, if not exceptional. His getup as the genie with beaded curls and a smart goatee too is endearing and it will surely go down with children. We could see that his childlike voice and accent as the genie is being mimicked by youngsters as they were getting out of the theatre after the show.

But, one thing that is hard to comprehend is, why Suraj Venjaramoodu is made to mimic him as if two Mammoottys were not enough to bring in the audience.

One more thing is the fact that this film is Kavya Madhavan's [ Images ] swansong; still she does not any significance in the story. Her character is card-boardish, and the opportunity for her to contribute something of value towards the story is nil.

Coming to the rest of the supporting cast -- Rajan P Dev, Suresh Krishna & Co -- are standard villains. Innocent as the father figure tries to put in some vigour into the proceedings but cannot do much.
The film is nothing but a comic act by Mammootty.

Rediff Rating: 2 STARS :whistle:

<!-- / message -->

kuttoos
11th July 2009, 06:26 AM
thanks dino anna...well written:clap:

Fontu
11th July 2009, 07:40 AM
thanx 4 the belated review DD anna...

munshi02
11th July 2009, 08:39 AM
thanks dino anna 3 times njan kandu padam ethra kandalum veendum kanan thonikuna padamanu ethu .power packed performance by the acting legend

chila parama comedy movie kananavanmar ee padathine adishepichu kandu chila forungalil ..acting enthenu ariyatha ee koorakale venam adyam adichu kollan

Mallik Bhai
11th July 2009, 10:24 AM
thanks dino anna 3 times njan kandu padam ethra kandalum veendum kanan thonikuna padamanu ethu .power packed performance by the acting legend

chila parama comedy movie kananavanmar ee padathine adishepichu kandu chila forungalil ..acting enthenu ariyatha ee koorakale venam adyam adichu kollan

welcome munshi annai....

parama comedy alla annaa purified comedy....anganeyulla padangal kandu manassum buddhiyum maravichupoya paavangalaa...vitteru! ivideyum onnu randennam undaairunnu, bhootham irangiyathil pinne avarokke kuppiyil keriyenn thonnunnu!

Mallik Bhai
11th July 2009, 10:27 AM
Was waiting for ur review :cheers: thanks Dino

welcome...ningal enne ariyumo, enik ningale ariyumo??!!!

navarannan
12th July 2009, 12:09 AM
well written review anna... Thanks...

I disagree on one point though. Suresh Menon ....

kuttoos
12th July 2009, 12:30 AM
1023456987:time:

Fontu
12th July 2009, 07:19 AM
kandathu Bhramaram..!!!ayipoyathu Thanmathra..!!!:vida:

Mr.Lonely
12th July 2009, 07:26 AM

njan 1023059.. nammal meet cheyittu illa ithu vare ;) :flower:

kuttoos
12th July 2009, 08:03 AM
kandathu Bhramaram..!!!ayipoyathu Thanmathra..!!!:vida:
:ennekollu:

Fontu
12th July 2009, 08:06 AM
njan 1023059.. nammal meet cheyittu illa ithu vare ;) :flower:
Bhagyavaan..!!!:bodhamilla:

Mallik Bhai
12th July 2009, 08:48 AM
well written review anna... Thanks...

I disagree on one point though. Suresh Menon ....

welcome bhai....disagreements undaavumallo, undaavanamallo!!!

pakche enikkendho pullide abinayam valare artificial aayi thonni...

Sree
12th July 2009, 09:46 AM
welcome bhai....disagreements undaavumallo, undaavanamallo!!!

pakche enikkendho pullide abinayam valare artificial aayi thonni...

athu dubbingile poraayma aavan aanu chance.........his expressions and lipsync werent bad

Mr.Lonely
12th July 2009, 09:49 AM
Bhagyavaan..!!!:bodhamilla:
:party:

Mallik Bhai
12th July 2009, 09:50 AM
athu dubbingile poraayma aavan aanu chance.........his expressions and lipsync werent bad

dubbing preshnam undaairunnu bhai, thaats true, pakshe makal aayi abinayicha kutti paattu padippichtharanam ennokke paranj roomil vann parayunna sceneil pullide body languageum abinayavum okke oru kallukadi pole thonni...orumaathiri gawky reactions!

Saroj Kumar
12th July 2009, 10:17 AM
Thanks Dino Chechi and SG Anna :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Kamal Hassane ettuvam valiya nadan aayi kanakakkunnathil maattam vanno :roll:

Cooldude
12th July 2009, 10:19 AM
Dino bhai thanx for your views....

Mallik Bhai
12th July 2009, 10:20 AM
Thanks Dino Chechi and SG Anna :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Kamal Hassane ettuvam valiya nadan aayi kanakakkunnathil maattam vanno :roll:

welcome saroj muthala!:vchiri:

idh padam kand veliyil vannappa njanga aadhyam paranja kaaryangalil onnaanu bhai...oralppamengilum ee performancene match cheyyaan pattumengil adh kamaljikk maathramaanenn!:update:

Saroj Kumar
12th July 2009, 10:24 AM
welcome saroj muthala!:vchiri:

idh padam kand veliyil vannappa njanga aadhyam paranja kaaryangalil onnaanu bhai...oralppamengilum ee performancene match cheyyaan pattumengil adh kamaljikk maathramaanenn!:update:
Muthalaya :thinking: Kamaljiye kurichu paranja nammal thammil vagwadhathil erppedendi varum 8-[

Mallik Bhai
12th July 2009, 10:29 AM
Muthalaya :thinking: Kamaljiye kurichu paranja nammal thammil vagwadhathil erppedendi varum 8-[

vaagwaadham nalladhalle...

prachanna veshangalkk adimappedunnathinu munpeyulla kamalji enna nadaneppattiyaa njaan parene...ipppo pulli kaanikkunnadhellam ikka cheyyunna pole swantham egoye satisfy cheyyikkaan!

Saroj Kumar
12th July 2009, 10:32 AM
vaagwaadham nalladhalle...

prachanna veshangalkk adimappedunnathinu munpeyulla kamalji enna nadaneppattiyaa njaan parene...ipppo pulli kaanikkunnadhellam ikka cheyyunna pole swantham egoye satisfy cheyyikkaan!
Langane langane :idi:

tintumon
12th July 2009, 11:47 AM
idum nalla padam. endoru abinayam mohanlalinde. bootham ellarkum istapedum, ennal idh ellarkum istapedilla

navarannan
12th July 2009, 11:52 AM
idum nalla padam. endoru abinayam mohanlalinde. bootham ellarkum istapedum, ennal idh ellarkum istapedilla

aarude vyajanada nee :lee::lee:

payyans
12th July 2009, 01:49 PM
aarude vyajanada nee :lee::lee:

Ninte thanne annode? appurathu ingine kure kandu seelichathane ;) :pavam:

Mallik Bhai
12th July 2009, 01:56 PM
Mammootty's comic act

It seems once in a while Mammootty wants to reassure himself that he can handle comedy well, otherwise, one can't think of any other reason as to why he would do a Malayalam film like Ee Pattanathil Bhootham.
Agreed, that it is a fantasy film trying to lure kiddos along with their elders into the theatre. But, an actor of his stature can never be proud of such a film appearing in his filmography.
Director Johnny Antony and writers Siby K Thomas and Uday Krishna who gave us Thuruppu Gulan, a product for mass consumption with the star in the lead not very long back, are behind this too.
As for the premise, there is hardly anything to dwell upon. It just takes a leaf out of an old fairy tale where a good hearted genie is rescued from a wicked magician by some harried kids working in circus. The genie takes the form of Jimmy Uncle (Mammootty), a multi-talented circus artist who is in jail for a murder that he did not commit.
The narrative is full of wisecracks and witty one-liners that divert our attention from the implausibility of the plot initially. But, it seems to drag after a while.
It is Mammootty's show all the way. And, we are not complaining; because he is good most of the times, if not exceptional. His getup as the genie with beaded curls and a smart goatee too is endearing and it will surely go down with children. We could see that his childlike voice and accent as the genie is being mimicked by youngsters as they were getting out of the theatre after the show.

But, one thing that is hard to comprehend is, why Suraj Venjaramoodu is made to mimic him as if two Mammoottys were not enough to bring in the audience.

One more thing is the fact that this film is Kavya Madhavan's [ Images ] swansong; still she does not any significance in the story. Her character is card-boardish, and the opportunity for her to contribute something of value towards the story is nil.

Coming to the rest of the supporting cast -- Rajan P Dev, Suresh Krishna & Co -- are standard villains. Innocent as the father figure tries to put in some vigour into the proceedings but cannot do much.
The film is nothing but a comic act by Mammootty.

Rediff Rating: 2 STARS :whistle:

<!-- / message -->

ee saadhanathine endhinaanaavo ente bhramaram review threadil kondittirikkunnadh?!:freak:

payyans
12th July 2009, 02:02 PM
Thanks Dino for the review. well written..

Mallik Bhai
12th July 2009, 02:17 PM
Thanks Dino for the review. well written..
welcome payyans...fkyile payyans thanneyalle eee payyansum?

payyans
12th July 2009, 02:27 PM
welcome payyans...fkyile payyans thanneyalle eee payyansum?

athe.. pakshe avide vere oru payyan undayirunnu.. athu njan alla.. I had another ID there.

Mallik Bhai
12th July 2009, 04:27 PM
athe.. pakshe avide vere oru payyan undayirunnu.. athu njan alla.. I had another ID there.
oh..k...adhedhaanennum koode paranjirunnel...

Saroj Kumar
12th July 2009, 04:30 PM
oh..k...adhedhaanennum koode paranjirunnel...
Paranjirunnel ingerentho cheyyum :idi:

Mallik Bhai
12th July 2009, 04:32 PM
nee enikk ayachuthanna nee ezhuthiya thirakkadha vaayich athmahathya sremam nadathum...veruthe ninne kodathi kettikkum, veno?:thalakarakkam:

Saroj Kumar
12th July 2009, 04:35 PM
nee enikk ayachuthanna nee ezhuthiya thirakkadha vaayich athmahathya sremam nadathum...veruthe ninne kodathi kettikkum, veno?:thalakarakkam:
Venda, njan poyi :silenced: :(

DurbalaN
12th July 2009, 04:56 PM
Ithinidayil inganeyum sambhavichoo

Mallik Bhai
12th July 2009, 04:57 PM
Ithinidayil inganeyum sambhavichoo
???engane???

Sree
12th July 2009, 05:17 PM

=))=))=))=))