View Full Version : Rajneethi - Prakash Jha does an IV Sasi

zooshtray
8th June 2010, 09:42 PM
Rajneethi - Prakash Jha does an IV Sasi

Theater: PVR Forum, Bangalore
Date: June 8th
Show: 12:10 pm
Attendance: 90%

Havent we seen enough movies with Politics as the backdrop? Havent we seen the modern adaptation of Mahabaratha many a times in the movies? What happens when both these meet?
This is exacty what Prakash Jha's big budget multi starrer is all about. Well, believe me, there is still a lot to see.

The director who, himself, has fought elections in Bihar in the past, heads this political drama that stars some of the best talents in the industry.
Prithvi Pratap Singh (Arjun Rampal) and Veerendra Pratap Singh (Manoj Bajpayee) are the successors of a powerful political party. Prithvi is eager to take the top spot, but Veerendra turns out to be his biggest opponent. When Prithvi is appointed as the head of the party, Veerendra teams with Sooraj (Ajay Devgan) and the two successfully evict Prithvi from the party.
Enter Samar (Ranbir Kapoor) who has absolutely no political aspirations, but is sucked into the world of politics due to the family political rivalry. Under the guidance of Brij Gopal (Nana Patekar), Samar and Prithvi start their own political party and contest the elections against Veerendra. What follows is an extremely compelling political drama, that should not be missed!

Why should it not be missed

* Characterization - Wonderful characters. All of them have grey shades and traits straight out of Mahabharath.
* Excellent direction and style of narration. A very simple treatment to a complex screenplay.
* Top Notch performances
* Awseome art direction. you actually feel u r in the middle of a political campaign trail

The negatives

* The running time. Not justifiable at all.
* Kunti-Karna track a huge let down. No symapathies felt towards Karna, Suraj in this case. The scene just falls flat. There is a similar scene in Dalapathi between Srividya & Rajnikanth. you just see the brilliance of Manirathnam there.
* Katrina's dialogue delivery has improved but a long way to go. When you are in a frame with some of the best in the business, sometimes your best is not good enough.
* Dialougues are good but Rajeenthi being a political drama needed something really razor sharp.

The performances

* Manoj Bajpai is fantastic in a outright negative role, the actor gets everything right his diction, body language and expressions. An award worthy performance! Watch him mouth "Karrara Jawaab Milega"
* Ranbir - Where is this guy headed to? Super screen presence. A wonderfully restrained performance. He never shouts or raises his voice but we can feel that simmering anger and intensity within him throughout. A very effective and mature performance.
* Arjun Rampal is brilliant, one of his best performances ever. It would have been good if he could have changed his dialogue delivery a bit to suit the character.
* Nana Patekar is terrific, yet again. He delivers the most difficult of lines with utmost ease.
* Ajay Devgn doesnt really get a lot of footage, but he does well in most sequences that he is a part of.
* Katrina Kaif does very well in a role without an iota of glamour. .

Two scenes that really hit me hard. Prakash Jha at his best
1) Police Sharma's tussle with Arjun Rampal and Ranbir in the hospital
2) The car explosion in Ranbir's courtyard.

Overall, Rajneeti is one of the most compelling films in recent times but it could have been far better than what it is.
How I miss the IV Sasi political multi starrer's of the 80s!!!

Rating: 3.5/5

~Saji~
8th June 2010, 09:45 PM
ranbir , sawariya enna koothara cinemayile payyan alle? annu avane puchathode aanu kandathu...pakshe ippol he is becoming one of the most reliable actors in bollywood...

thanks...

double chankan
8th June 2010, 09:46 PM
agreeing with all points,,,,,,,,,,,,

biggest dissapointment was the kunthi-karna track ..

Sree
8th June 2010, 09:47 PM
thanks ashtray :smoke:

KasinathaN
8th June 2010, 09:55 PM
Thanks Zooshtray

Maharajav
8th June 2010, 10:34 PM
thanks zooshtray...:cheers:

ITV
8th June 2010, 10:37 PM
Thanks zooshtray

dubaikaaran
8th June 2010, 10:41 PM
Thanks Zooshtray

cinebuff
8th June 2010, 10:42 PM
Thnx zoooooosh bhai......

Pankajakshan
8th June 2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks ashtray anna....kaananamello appo.

tonykuttan
8th June 2010, 11:06 PM
Thnx zooshtray anna

Hari Kuttan
8th June 2010, 11:23 PM
Thanks anna.. Enikku padam pidichilla.. Maybe coz I expected better than this.. You forgot to mention nana who I thought was the best of the lot.. He simply rocked though he didn't have much dialogues to mouth..

And about the movie, agree some characters had grey shades, but seems like that's the best we can expect from a 'good' movie nowadays.. Felt the characters development was pretty poor.. And the story line was cliched.. And dialogues reminded me of 80's movies.. (probably intentional, but that irritated a lot..)

navarannan
8th June 2010, 11:25 PM
thanks thooshtery

lodestar
8th June 2010, 11:26 PM
Thanks Zoooosh

Manikyan
8th June 2010, 11:29 PM
Kinnan review Zoosthray bhai...Thanks

radheyam
8th June 2010, 11:33 PM
thanks zooshy
nice review..

zooshtray
8th June 2010, 11:38 PM
Thanks anna.. Enikku padam pidichilla.. Maybe coz I expected better than this.. You forgot to mention nana who I thought was the best of the lot.. He simply rocked though he didn't have much dialogues to mouth..

And about the movie, agree some characters had grey shades, but seems like that's the best we can expect from a 'good' movie nowadays.. Felt the characters development was pretty poor.. And the story line was cliched.. And dialogues reminded me of 80's movies.. (probably intentional, but that irritated a lot..)

I also expected more...but I was not totally disappointed...The climax was not upto the mark. I have mentioned about the dialogues...needed to be better...there were some really good ones but on the whole dialogues were average...I liked Nana a lot...i have mentioned that in the review...He has the minimum lines but had a lot of scope to communicate without them.

Freddy
8th June 2010, 11:38 PM
thanks zooshtray

Aryan007
8th June 2010, 11:40 PM
Thanks zooshtray Good Review ...:clap:

Hari Kuttan
9th June 2010, 12:16 AM
I also expected more...but I was not totally disappointed...The climax was not upto the mark. I have mentioned about the dialogues...needed to be better...there were some really good ones but on the whole dialogues were average...I liked Nana a lot...i have mentioned that in the review...He has the minimum lines but had a lot of scope to communicate without them.
Yeah.. Sorry anna ippo kandu.. :valiya_chiri:
Aa bomb blast scene okke.. :kolleda:

Anyways oru 3 hour movie okke akumbo ingane idakku kurachu nalla moments mathram mathiyo.. As you mentioned 'Karara Jawab milega' scene was real good.. :) And a few scenes of Nana.. Ranbir i felt like was more like trying to mock Al pacino (in Godfather, of course).. Though did pull off a decent perfo in the end.. Nyways just my opinion anna.. :)

kiroo
9th June 2010, 02:26 AM
thanks zooshtray..for well constructed review..!!!

Niranjan
9th June 2010, 03:23 AM
Thank You Macha

Antony Moses
9th June 2010, 07:19 AM
thks zooshanna

sertzui
9th June 2010, 07:44 AM
Excellent review, Zooshtray,. Keep it up.

passionforcinema
9th June 2010, 08:58 AM
A great effort.
Think it wud have double the BO effect if they had not tried to be so faithful to mahabharatha.
probably ajay devgans karna was not required at all in the movie.his traits cud have assigned to the concept of dalits as a whole and into manoj bajpai.a lot many of uneventful nonhappening scenes cud have removed with it.
ranbir kapoor somewhere reminded pritvi:)

Solomon
9th June 2010, 09:24 AM
thnx zooshtray.. a superb review indeed..

Aryan007
9th June 2010, 09:31 AM
'Raajneeti' is a winner

- By Taran Adarsh, June 8, 2010 - 08:48 IST
http://images.bollywoodhungama.com/img/overseasbo/0806raajneeti1.jpg RAAJNEETI was never considered an 'Overseas friendly' film. The industry was sure that the film wouldn't perform well in the international markets because of the serious theme. Also, a section of the industry felt that the subject material wouldn't cut ice with the international audience. But the film has emerged a success in the international markets as well. In fact, the first 3-day total from U.K., U.S.A., Australia, Gulf and rest of the world markets is approx. Rs. 10.5 crores. Fantastic!

Overseas Box Office :2010-06-08 08:48:05 (http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/trade/overseas_boxoffice/index.html)

[I]Raajneeti gets biggest opening of the year

Prakash Jha's Raajneeti seems to have lived up to the expectations of the audience as it made the biggest opening of the year this weekend. According to film critic Taran Adarsh, the film has received a huge response despite releasing in fewer screens and lesser shows than Housefull and Kites.
The multi-starrer film has made the second biggest opening ever, following 3 Idiots which had released last year. However, Adarsh is quick to point out that 3 Idiots had released on the Christmas weekend and even Monday had been a holiday.
According to Rediff.com, the film which reportedly cost Rs 55 crore for making and promotion, managed to gross a whopping Rs 10.5 crore on the first day itself and about Rs 33-35 crore over the weekend. This puts the film in a position to achieve record collections in the course of its theatrical run, especially as there is no big movie scheduled for release the next weekend, giving Raajneeti an uninterrupted 14 day solo theatrical run.
Raajneeti has been particularly well received in urban centres and across North India, with occupancies above 80%

HT Media
(http://www.hindustantimes.com/Raajneeti-gets-biggest-opening-of-the-year/Article1-554323.aspx)

Aryan007
9th June 2010, 09:34 AM
Jha’s ‘Raajneeti’ Makes Rs 62 Crore In Its Opening Weekend

According to reports, Prakash Jha's 'Rajneeti' has set box office on fire by earning around about Rs 62 crore (Rs 620 million) worldwide during its opening weekend. It seems that Katrina-Ranbir starrer has brought an end to box office drought.
Produced by UTV with a budget of approx. Rs 45 crore, the flick has been distributed by Prakash Jha Productions, Walkwater Media and UTV Motion Pictures with more than 2,100 prints all through the world.
The gross BO collections of Rajneeti in the doestic market surpassed Rs 51 crore (Rs 510 million) on 1,900 screens whereas it saw gross box office collections of Rs 10.5 crore on 300 screens overseas.
In lead markets including Britain, US and the Gulf region, the film did business worth $315,048, $916,446 and $500,000, respectively.
Inspired by the Hindu epic Mahabharata, "Raajneeti" takes a behind-the-scenes look at the working of Indian politics and features an ensemble line-up, including the likes of Nana Patekar and Naseeruddin Shah, Ajay Devgn and Manoj Bajpai.
The movie was in soup when it was first refused a certificate by the censor board for Katz' role reportedly having a resemblance to Congress party chief Sonia Gandhi.
Some intimate scenes and undue violence episodes were also deleted before the film was given a U/A censor certificate. (With Inputs from Agencies)

Jha’s ‘Raajneeti’ Makes Rs 62 Crore In Its Opening Weekend | Top News (http://www.topnews.in/jha-s-raajneeti-makes-rs-62-crore-its-opening-weekend-2264266)

naran
9th June 2010, 09:57 AM
zzoosht.....bai....smart review..........kalakki....
n im nt agreeing wit u abt katrina's perfomance......she ws disappointin......
some melo dramas wer ter in d 2nd half.......wich created laggin along wit d length of d movie.......
a bit of movie 'godfather' ws also ter as an ingredient....thnk so.....
(while cnsiderin prakash jha's wrds......'i jst wntd 2 make people entertain....nthn to do wit indian politics'...we cn forget all tese -ves...rite???coz i wchd tis wit a prejudiced mind considerin tis as a political movie.................)

Neelan
9th June 2010, 09:59 AM
thanx Zoosh Anna :salute:

chunakuttan
9th June 2010, 10:27 AM
Thanks macha...powerfull review

EmmeS
9th June 2010, 01:08 PM
Thanks Zooshtray...:itsme:

zooshtray
10th June 2010, 01:13 PM
A great effort.
Think it wud have double the BO effect if they had not tried to be so faithful to mahabharatha.
probably ajay devgans karna was not required at all in the movie.his traits cud have assigned to the concept of dalits as a whole and into manoj bajpai.a lot many of uneventful nonhappening scenes cud have removed with it.
ranbir kapoor somewhere reminded pritvi:)
GIven a chance in a role similar to that of Ranbir in this movie, I think Prithvi wud have excelled. Roles like this suit him.

Brother
10th June 2010, 01:25 PM
ranbir , sawariya enna koothara cinemayile payyan alle? annu avane puchathode aanu kandathu...pakshe ippol he is becoming one of the most reliable actors in bollywood...

thanks...
yes payyan kollam..
:thanks:Zoostray anna..

adarshadheeran
10th June 2010, 02:04 PM
thanks zootray macha

Nick Nack
10th June 2010, 02:08 PM
Thanx Zooshtray anna...
Appo ee padam oru MUST WATCH thane...

Also it seems to have stuck gold at the box office... I dont remember a recent movie that has succeeded in multiplexes, overseas and single screens alike... looks like a big big hit...

zooshtray
23rd June 2010, 09:29 PM
VFX in Rajneethi

VFX making of Raajneeti (http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/news/2010/06/23/14284/index.html)