View Full Version : Digambaran kanda Bhramaram

Antony Moses
13th July 2009, 07:17 AM
Theatre : Palakkad Aroma
Date : 12-July-09 (Sunday)
Time : 5.30 PM (First show)

Crowd : Balcony - Full
1st Class - 70%

Rush created mainly by families. Lot of women. While waiting for the tickets, decided to check out the adjacent theatre (Priya) where Bhootham was playing. Asked a random person how the movie was and pat came the reply "Waste", but he added also "But the shows are housefull, though it won't sustain".

Now for the review :

Let me coin a new word to describe the movie : It is blatantly shamelessly "Lalsploitation" (Lal + Exploitation). I can only shudder when I think about the scenario had the title character being played by anyone other than Lalettan. It would have been a colossal flop. And I cannot remember a movie in recent times, where an entire cinema was reduced to being a one man act (three tbh if you add the cameraman and KPAC Lalitha).

'Thus far you shall come, but no farther" (Job 38:11, The Bible)

An apt description of Blessy the filmmaker, one feels. While he must be given 100/100 for efforts, which is valiantly obvious in each frame of the film, there is a limit to where efforts alone can take a person. To transcend beyond that, the inherent talent in a filmmaker has to blossom, which, with all due credit to him, Blessy does not possess. He tries to emulate both Bharathan and Padmarajan, his mentors, and sadly falls flat. Mind you, it is a good effort, but then, Bharathans and Padmarajans are born, not made.

It is as if each frame of the movie shouts out "See look at me, look at this masterpiece in the making", but never quite delivers the knock out punch which could elevate the movie from "Good" to "Masterpiece".

The story is wafer thin. The screen play is devoted to so much detailing that it loses its cohesiveness in the final scheme of things. Unnecessary detailing of some characters who would never add to the tone of things, has only led the movie to stray and wander off especially in the first half. My mother, who is a hardcore Lal fan, remarked at the end of the First Half, "Unremarkable". Given the nature of the movie, my opinion is that the screenplay should have matched the pace of the chase, and given the theme, and the fact that only 3 characters are basically stressed upon, it needed a much tighter taut screenplay, even if that meant the movie would be reduced to perhaps a 2 hour watch or even less. It needs a re-edit in my opinion. Some flashback scenes, which slows down the movie, without any real value additions, could be chopped off. In fact, the entire scenes involving Bhoomika and the daughter could have been chopped off and replaced by just a reminiscence by Lal and the movie won't have lost anything.

Which brings me to the choice of props (I would like to call all the minor roles apart from Lal in this movie). One aspect of Papettan, which Blessy emulated to a good degree of success was his choice of actors who'd play minor characters. Be it be Mammoos character in Kazcha, Arjun's and Meera Vasudevan's character in Thanmatra, it is well developed and essential for the main protagonist's journey in the film. Here he unfortunately faltered in that. Bhumika and the kid plainly sucks. To be fair, am fair bit of flummoxed by the way Bhumika's character reeks of sheer immaturity, that one wonders if she were a 17 year old complaining teenager with options wide open, or a 30+ (?) mother and wife of 5(?) years. Blessy also leaves one cringing and uninvolved (almost wanted to run out of the theatre) at a pivotal moment in the film, due to some extremely pathetic acting from both the mother and daughter.

I cannot overemphasise how good Lal has been, and it will be waste of time and space to dwell upon his performance, which we have already seen and discussed. He just reminds you that the genius has not gone out of him, despite the SAJs and Bhagavans of late. And he also painfully reminds you of the despicable situation mallu films are in of late, where superstars are reduced to being clowns, and tries to do a one man Narasimham act to salvage singlehandedly Malluwood out of it. But then, there is a limit to what one person, one character and one film can do.

There is one more star other than Lal in this film, and that is the cinematography. It rocks. Absolutely rocks. Be it be the moody opening sequences in Coimbatore where the camera is absolutely still the demonstrate the dull sameness of nuclear families, to the thrilling sequences in the second half, when the camera itself seems to have developed a soul and wanders restlessly around the characters, and is able to paint the mental picture of Sivankutty, juxtapositioning the ragged, dangerous, muddy, unpredictable but ultimately splendid backdrops of Munnar.

But the same cannot be said of another two crucial aspects of the film, editing and sound engineering. While the former fails to sustain the tempo of a road movie, the latter fails to capture the mysterious sounds of the valley which could have added another dimension to the picture.

Positives

Lalettan
Camera
KPAC Lalitha

Negatives

Bhumika and the child
Editing
Sound
Screenplay dwelling on unneeded details.

Overall ratings : Do watch it for Lalettan's sake. You could never come across films elsewhere in the world blessed with the capabilities of the lead actor like Lalettan's films, and this is definitely his best work in the last decade, since Vaanaprastham (including Thanmatra).

Vincent Gomas
13th July 2009, 07:31 AM
thanx macha..!!

Sree
13th July 2009, 07:33 AM
thanks diggu

Jeff
13th July 2009, 07:39 AM
Thanks. Very well written

Mr.Lonely
13th July 2009, 07:39 AM
Will watch it tomorrow :cheers:
thanks diga

sertzui
13th July 2009, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the well drafted Review.

Nick Nack
13th July 2009, 07:50 AM
Digambaran... well analyzed review....
Eagerly waiting for the Bangalore release

payyans
13th July 2009, 08:01 AM
thanks digambaran.. yet to see this movie.

munshi02
13th July 2009, 08:04 AM
kidu review thanks digambaran

Fontu
13th July 2009, 08:14 AM
thanx bhai..excellent review..and good style..

Mallik Bhai
13th July 2009, 08:43 AM
excellent writeup dude...keep going....

surprised to note that u did not mention anything about the music department though most of the other department analysis have been spot on!

double chankan
13th July 2009, 08:47 AM
awesome use of language..

one more to the queue of Critic, Dino and Sagar !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Antony Moses
13th July 2009, 08:51 AM
Thanks everyone.

I have touched upon only details which either made or derailed the movie. While the music was decent, it did not do particularly to either raise or lower the standards of the film. In fact, I'd been happier had the "Kuzhaluthum" song was not at all there in the film and restricted to the album.

Not taking away anything from Mohan Sitara. He's one of my fav composers in Malayalam.

Bean
13th July 2009, 09:24 AM
Thanx digambaran..One of the best written reviews of Bhramaram..
:ssrocks:

Shambu
13th July 2009, 09:32 AM
great review digambaran.... really great :) ... very well convinced your points

kuttoos
13th July 2009, 09:39 AM
thanks D
editing moshamennu enikku thoniyilla....flashback scenes okke avashyathine ullo....pakshe avarde acting karanam enikku moshamayi thony....aa kochu karayunna scene:sathan:
ajay vincent:stylish:aa jeep-l irikkumbol camera 90 degrees move cheyunathokke kidu ayittundu

Niranjan
13th July 2009, 09:44 AM
Thanks machanzzzzzzz.........Theatre status really encouraging....:stylish:

Antony Moses
13th July 2009, 09:47 AM
thanks D
editing moshamennu enikku thoniyilla....flashback scenes okke avashyathine ullo....pakshe avarde acting karanam enikku moshamayi thony....aa kochu karayunna scene:sathan:
ajay vincent:stylish:aa jeep-l irikkumbol camera 90 degrees move cheyunathokke kidu ayittundu
Yeah, those pan-around scenes were awesome. There was another scene in the beginning when the camera panned 360 degrees around the taxi in which Lalettan and his friend were sitting. Repeated it in the jeep one also.

An example for editing :

The childhood girlfriend's death. Scenes were repeated twice.

Niranjan
13th July 2009, 09:49 AM
thanks D

padam kando?evidunnu?a short review poratee :kidilam:

Niranjan
13th July 2009, 09:51 AM
Digambaran sir...engane undu WOM avide?

kuttoos
13th July 2009, 09:54 AM
Yeah, those pan-around scenes were awesome. There was another scene in the beginning when the camera panned 360 degrees around the taxi in which Lalettan and his friend were sitting. Repeated it in the jeep one also.

An example for editing :

The childhood girlfriend's death. Scenes were repeated twice.
hmm..adyam kurachalle kanichullo...pinnedalle athinte pinnile reason okke kanichathu..panam moshtikkunathum aval kandu pidikkunathum...appol sivankuttye kuttakkaran akkunathu kanichathumilla...lke first time headmaster varumbol sivankuttiye choondy kanikkum pakshe second time athonnum kanikkunilla..pettennu lal-nte mughathekku varumallo

kuttoos
13th July 2009, 09:55 AM
padam kando?evidunnu?a short review poratee :kidilam:
namukku review ezhuthanonnum ariyilla:giggle:

Antony Moses
13th July 2009, 09:57 AM
Digambaran sir...engane undu WOM avide?
wom?

Transporter
13th July 2009, 09:58 AM
thanks digambaran . nice review

Niranjan
13th July 2009, 10:01 AM
wom?

Janangalude response engane undennu? :happy:

praveenshankar
13th July 2009, 10:03 AM
thanks digambaran ..

~Saji~
13th July 2009, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the review

Abhi
13th July 2009, 10:07 AM
thanks diggu......theater status is good.....sure hit.....

Antony Moses
13th July 2009, 10:07 AM
hmm..adyam kurachalle kanichullo...pinnedalle athinte pinnile reason okke kanichathu..panam moshtikkunathum aval kandu pidikkunathum...appol sivankuttye kuttakkaran akkunathu kanichathumilla...lke first time headmaster varumbol sivankuttiye choondy kanikkum pakshe second time athonnum kanikkunilla..pettennu lal-nte mughathekku varumallo
Then first time he could have shown only scenes from Lal trying to resuscitate the girl and getting accused by the other guy. Instead of showing the rescue scenes

Antony Moses
13th July 2009, 10:11 AM
Janangalude response engane undennu? :happy:
To be very frank, general response was "Average film, superlative performance from lalettan".

The fact that my mom easily foretold the suspense of the climax right to the detail, tells how much of "suspense" did the movie really hold. Many dialogues in between like ithavarode paranjitte njan.... chakoo" etc were real giveaways.

Cooldude
13th July 2009, 10:29 AM
Digambarante Bhramara visheshangalkku orupaadu nanni...Nalla crowd undallo padathinu, i can understand as it is a Sunday. But good signs

kuttoos
13th July 2009, 10:36 AM
Then first time he could have shown only scenes from Lal trying to resuscitate the girl and getting accused by the other guy. Instead of showing the rescue scenes
altogether oru 5-10 secs eduthu kanum:lee:

Antony Moses
13th July 2009, 10:40 AM
No perhaps oru 30 seconds, but it is all enough to drag the movie down.

Another scene is Annarakanna (sung by kids) song, or the initial policeman family scene, all this take away from the core of the movie.

Arjun
13th July 2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks Bhaii ...
nice review

Robert Langdon
13th July 2009, 11:13 AM
Thanx Digambara... Well written review...:nallatha:

SS nu professional std ulla mattoru reviewer koodi..:cheers:

kiroo
13th July 2009, 11:24 AM
thanks digu..........

super aayittundu......:kudi:

Antony Moses
13th July 2009, 11:30 AM
Thanks everyone.

But I must confess, I was moody all night yesterday. Should say it touched some chords deep within.

DurbalaN
13th July 2009, 11:35 AM
Thanks Digu

Saroj Kumar
13th July 2009, 11:39 AM
Thanks digambu machu. Kidilan review :cheers: Nalla language :kidilam:

Sherly
13th July 2009, 11:56 AM
Umpteen times we have seen lal don these type of roles. This has been a relief for only those who have succembed to Bhagavan's and Red chillies offlate.

Mallik Bhai
13th July 2009, 12:01 PM
Umpteen times we have seen lal don these type of roles. This has been a relief for only those who have succembed to Bhagavan's and Red chillies offlate.

sho!!!

Cooldude
13th July 2009, 12:12 PM

thalle...ollathu thanne....

Abhi
13th July 2009, 01:57 PM

thane thane.......vere visesham onnum illallodai.....

Maharajav
13th July 2009, 02:20 PM
Thanks Digambaran....Excellent review.....

Malayalee
13th July 2009, 02:27 PM
Thnx Digambaran.. excellent review..

Njanum ingane okke thanne aanu filmine kurichu kettathu..

Kumbidi
13th July 2009, 03:48 PM
good review Dig anna...

Raveendran
14th July 2009, 03:18 AM
review ezhuthanel kadichal pottuna english words koodiye theeru ennu nirbandabudhiyode ezhuthukayum athu fufill cheyyan vendi words kure ennam tirukiya poleyum oru feeeling ...

thanks for the review:idi:

Sunny
14th July 2009, 03:23 AM
padathinte vyaajan online'l vannittundallo..:twisted:..

jayakrishnan
14th July 2009, 04:08 AM
thanks

Antony Moses
14th July 2009, 07:53 AM
review ezhuthanel kadichal pottuna english words koodiye theeru ennu nirbandabudhiyode ezhuthukayum athu fufill cheyyan vendi words kure ennam tirukiya poleyum oru feeeling ...

thanks for the review:idi:
Ethokkeyanu ee "kadichal pottatha" "thirukikayatiya" words ennu sadayam kaanichu tharika.

starlord
14th July 2009, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the review...........