PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince - Spine-Chilling Fantasy Thriller - My Review

Robert Langdon
16th July 2009, 06:59 PM
Theatre : Grand Megaplex Dubai (IMAX)
Date n Time : 16th Jul 2009 , 12:00 PM
Duration : 2 hours 30 minutes

Just back after the FDFS of one of the most awaited movies of this year, the sixth installment of the Harry Potter series where Harry starts his sixth year at the Hogwarts school, in IMAX format, my first experience in this format...

First of all, I haven't read any of the books in this series, so for me it was a very satisfying follow-up to the mediocre fifth installment with lots of surprises n shocks ! And to watch it in IMAX is an absolute privilege and it turned out to be a fascinating experience which provided many breath taking scary moments.The quality of picture n sound are also a revelation in this format....

Now coming to the plot of the movie, as the death eaters and Voldemort are creating havocs in the muggle n wizard worlds, professor Snape joins in the mission of the Dark Lord while Draco Malfoy gets orders from Voldemort for a job... Later in the sixth year of Harry's schooling he discovers an advanced potion book which belonged to the "Half Blood Prince" which had more improved techniques in creating potions, scribbled by the owner of the book..At the same time Dumbledore lets Harry know about the dark childhood of Voldemort through memories, to find out how they can defeat the dark lord... Can Dumbledore n Harry stop Voldemort's job designated for Draco Malfoy, And who is really the "Half Blood Prince" forms the rest of the story...

For me this is the second best installment in the series preceded by the fourth installment "Goblet of Fire".. Those who haven't read the book, you are in for some shocking n surprising elements during the penultimate moments which is more of an anti-climax... The twist at the end elevated the movie to another level IMO... The light moments in the former half really tickles your ribs...

Acting : Almost everyone excels in the part.. Daniel Radcliffe came with a matured perfomance.. Rupert Grint's comic timing was commendable.. Emma Watson did a decent job with portraying Hermoine's emotional vulnerability... Tom Felton as Draco Malfoy n Bonnie Wright as Ginny did their parts well.. Actors who did the part of Snape and Dumbledore as usual came up with a masterful act...

Script : Pretty good one, still had many potholes n confusing elements for those who haven't read the book...

Direction : Good.. David Yates did entertain and maintained the pace throughout the movie but the love tracks in the former half was portrayed confusingly... Executed the penultimate seq with gr8 elan...

Graphics/Visual Effects : Excellent... The first sequence of the movie where the death eaters attack a city contains some brilliantly executed CGI works... To experience the maximum beauty of this dept. you need to watch it in IMAX 3D atmosphere...

Cinematography : Beautiful.. The first sequence, quidditch matches n some outdoor seq are really well taken...

BG score & Sound Editing : Two thumbs up for this one like all others installments in this series... In IMAX atmosphere, its really a spine-chilling experience..

To sum it up, a matured n tragic character driven installment to the Harry Potter series, that is what "Half Blood Prince" offers to you unlike previous happy ending fantasy rides, but stands a bit below "Goblet of Fire" in presentation...

Verdict : Good..A definite summer blockbuster.

WOM : As I said b4 those who have read the book doesn't seem to be satisfied with this.. Others like me are seeing it as good effort generally...

Rating - 7.5/10

Ali Imran
16th July 2009, 07:00 PM
thnks binoy

Krrish
16th July 2009, 07:03 PM
Appo Book vaayichavarku ishtapedilla alle....... Thanx Binoy..

Robert Langdon
16th July 2009, 07:04 PM
thnks binoy
Welcome Thomacha...

Robert Langdon
16th July 2009, 07:05 PM
Appo Book vaayichavarku ishtapedilla alle....... Thanx Binoy..
Athaanu general response...:order: Welcome dude...

Sree
16th July 2009, 07:08 PM
thanks binoy

I haven't read none of the books in this series

havent ,none ...rendu negatives ethayalum venda :)

Robert Langdon
16th July 2009, 07:11 PM
thanks binoy

havent ,none ...rendu negatives ethayalum venda :)
Welcome macha

Pettennu type cheyyumbo sredhichilla...:yo:

Maharshi Mathews
16th July 2009, 08:29 PM
njaninnu rathri chilappo ithnu thalavekkum:kayyadi:
binoyee enna undedaa:freak:

Robert Langdon
16th July 2009, 08:30 PM
njaninnu rathri chilappo ithnu thalavekkum:kayyadi:
binoyee enna undedaa:freak:
NLal annan aano ?:whistle:

Maharshi Mathews
16th July 2009, 08:31 PM
NLal annan aano ?:whistle:

athee:winking:

Tony
16th July 2009, 08:32 PM
Thanks da...

Appol ketta newsukal okke sariyallayirunnu...

Robert Langdon
16th July 2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks da...

Appol ketta newsukal okke sariyallayirunnu...
Welcome macha..
Book vayikkathavarkku pothuve ishtappedunnund...:):

kuttoos
16th July 2009, 08:41 PM
thanks binoy
ithinu eppol ethra sequels undu
njan ake 2 enne kandittullo

Maharshi Mathews
16th July 2009, 08:47 PM
thanks binoy
ithu 4th aanennu thonunnu:kannuruttu:

Solomon
16th July 2009, 08:51 PM
thnx binoy... ee buk thottaanu harry potter vaayikkathe vittathu..
buk vaayikkathe kaanunnathu veruthe aavumalleee

KasinathaN
16th July 2009, 08:55 PM
Thanks Binoy

Invalid_user
16th July 2009, 08:56 PM
Thanks daa...

Robert Langdon
16th July 2009, 09:03 PM
thanks binoy
Motham 6 six movies aayi.. Ithu 5th sequel...

Transporter
16th July 2009, 09:06 PM
thanks binoy

kuttoos
16th July 2009, 09:07 PM
ithu 4th aanennu thonunnu:kannuruttu:

Motham 6 six movies aayi.. Ithu 5th sequel...
hmmm...innale amazon-l movies sale undayirunnu
blu-ray-l ellam $57..medikkanamayirunnu...njan eppozhanu kandathu

Vincent Gomas
16th July 2009, 09:17 PM
thanxx macha for review..!!!

The Prince
16th July 2009, 09:26 PM
Thanks 4 d review macha...

Hari Kuttan
16th July 2009, 09:35 PM
First of all, I haven't read any of the books in this series, so for me it was a very satisfying follow-up to the mediocre fifth installment with lots of surprises n shocks !

Njaan ake vayikatha HP series book anu idhu :? But films ellam enikku ishtapettirunnu.. Final editionil pinneyum twist und.. :stylish:
Thanks aliyaa for the flabbergasting review :cheers:

Robert Langdon
16th July 2009, 09:41 PM
Njaan ake vayikatha HP series book anu idhu :? Final editionil pinneyum twist und.. :stylish:

6th book vayikkathe nee engane 7th vayichu manassilakki:kick:

munshi02
16th July 2009, 09:58 PM
londonilanu shooting athu kondu padam nanavum enu orapanu

Invalid_user
16th July 2009, 10:00 PM

Appo padam irangiyittillalle? :omg:
Eda Binoy nee fake reviews ittu matte koottaymayude alaakan sramikkukayano? :evil:

Robert Langdon
16th July 2009, 10:01 PM
:lol:

Robert Langdon
16th July 2009, 10:02 PM
Appo padam irangiyittillalle? :omg:
Eda Binoy nee fake reviews ittu matte koottaymayude alaakan sramikkukayano? :evil:
Ethu aama ?:scratch::scratch::scratch:

Hari Kuttan
16th July 2009, 10:02 PM
6th book vayikkathe nee engane 7th vayichu manassilakki:kick:
dei athinte summary okke oru friend nerathe paranju thannirunnu.. Adhu kondu main karyangalokke manasilayi.. Suspensum poyi koppu.. :silenced:

Bakkiyellam friendinte kayeennu medichu vayichathanu... Last edition njan vangi.. :punk:

Hari Kuttan
16th July 2009, 10:03 PM
Thironthorathu aayirunnel classic ayene alle anna :deviltalk:

~Saji~
16th July 2009, 10:06 PM
Book oru ever lasting classic aanu......Athine movie aakkunnathu alpam budhimuttaanu......Pakshe ee lokathu manushyarkku saadhikkunnathinte paramaavadhi nalla reethiyil avar harry cinema edukkunnundu.....5th story and movie depressing aanu.....6th one kurachu koodi twists ullathaanu...7th also super..

~Saji~
16th July 2009, 10:08 PM
Njaan ippol bhoothathinte parasyam pole, "Pillerkkulla book " enna reethiyil aanu vaayichu thudangiyathu...oru 2nd book okke vaayichu kazhinjappol, pinne 7th vare otta iruppinu thanne vaayichu.....chilathu 2-5 daysil okke theerthu...

Robert Langdon
16th July 2009, 10:08 PM
Thironthorathu aayirunnel classic ayene alle anna :deviltalk:=))

Invalid_user
16th July 2009, 10:09 PM
http://www.saynotocrack.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/61074_harrypotterstarwars.jpg

:nakku::nakku::nakku:

Hari Kuttan
Book oru ever lasting classic aanu......Athine movie aakkunnathu alpam budhimuttaanu......Pakshe ee lokathu manushyarkku saadhikkunnathinte paramaavadhi nalla reethiyil avar harry cinema edukkunnundu.....5th story and movie depressing aanu.....6th one kurachu koodi twists ullathaanu...7th also super..

:salut::salut::salut:

Harry potter series :cheers:
Rowling :cheers:

~Saji~
Thironthorathu aayirunnel classic ayene alle anna :deviltalk:

:ayye::ayye::ayye::ayye:

Robert Langdon
16th July 2009, 10:11 PM
5th one as a movie enikkathra bodhichilla.. 3rd one aanu enikku worst in the sereis aayi thonniyathu... 4th one the best followed by 2nd n 1st IMO...

Njaan ippol bhoothathinte parasyam pole, "Pillerkkulla book " enna reethiyil aanu vaayichu thudangiyathu...oru 2nd book okke vaayichu kazhinjappol, pinne 7th vare otta iruppinu thanne vaayichu.....chilathu 2-5 daysil okke theerthu...
Hmm... Pattiyaal ini vayikkanam ithokke ...

Hari Kuttan
16th July 2009, 10:19 PM

7th njanum approx. 1 dayil thanne vayichu theerthu.. Just idhinte hypeu karanam anu njan vayichu thudangiyath.. Aadhyam idhinte malayalam version (of 1st edition) oru balarama digest erangiyirunnu wen i was in 7th.. Appol interesting aayi thonni.. Pinne anu english version vayichu thudangiyathu.. Since then I'm a big fan of HP series.. :DJ:

Invalid_user
16th July 2009, 10:21 PM
7th njanum approx. 1 dayil thanne vayichu theerthu.. Just idhinte hypeu karanam anu njan vayichu thudangiyath.. Aadhyam idhinte malayalam version (of 1st edition) oru balarama digest erangiyirunnu wen i was in 7th.. Appol interesting aayi thonni.. Pinne anu english version vayichu thudangiyathu.. Since then I'm a big fan of HP series.. :DJ:

Nee aanodei ee Berly?

Hari Kuttan
16th July 2009, 10:26 PM
Nee aanodei ee Berly?
:lol: :lol:

BTW adhu sathyam anu.. Njanum oru divasathil thanney vayichu theerthu.. :emo:

tumnus
16th July 2009, 10:33 PM
:thanks:SUPERB WORK BINOY...CANT WAIT TO WATCH...!!!

Mr.Lonely
16th July 2009, 10:41 PM
thanks Binoy, will go and see it next week for sure :cheers:

Robert Langdon
16th July 2009, 10:51 PM
Welcome all machans...:hurray:

'Harry Potter' rakes in record midnight magic: Report

The sixth Harry Potter film raked in a staggering USD 22.2 million in its midnight premiere on Thursday, making box-office magic with the biggest such gross of all time, Variety reported. "In a massive start... 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince' easily scored the biggest midnight gross of all-time in earning USD 22.2 million as it debuted in 3,003 runs at 12:01 am (local time) today," Variety reported on its web site. The figure smashed a record of 18 million set last year by the "The Dark Knight," the latest installment in the "Batman" series and 17 million by the the film "Episode III: Revenge of the Sith," from the "Starwars" series. Late last month, Paramount's "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen," celebrated a midnight opening that brought in USD 16 million, and topped its USD 200 million budget on its first five days out in the United States and Canada alone.
While J K Rowling's popular Potter series may be over on the literary front, there is more in store on the big screen. The seventh Potter book is to be made into two separate films, due for release in 2010 and 2011.

tumnus
16th July 2009, 10:52 PM
:thanks:kothippichu kollalle binoy...

Hari Kuttan
16th July 2009, 10:52 PM
Welcome all machans...:hurray:

'Harry Potter' rakes in record midnight magic: Report

The sixth Harry Potter film raked in a staggering USD 22.2 million in its midnight premiere on Thursday, making box-office magic with the biggest such gross of all time, Variety reported. "In a massive start... 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince' easily scored the biggest midnight gross of all-time in earning USD 22.2 million as it debuted in 3,003 runs at 12:01 am (local time) today," Variety reported on its web site. The figure smashed a record of 18 million set last year by the "The Dark Knight," the latest installment in the "Batman" series and 17 million by the the film "Episode III: Revenge of the Sith," from the "Starwars" series. Late last month, Paramount's "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen," celebrated a midnight opening that brought in USD 16 million, and topped its USD 200 million budget on its first five days out in the United States and Canada alone.
While J K Rowling's popular Potter series may be over on the literary front, there is more in store on the big screen. The seventh Potter book is to be made into two separate films, due for release in 2010 and 2011.
:hurray: :banana:

Antony Moses
16th July 2009, 11:07 PM
Thanksie for review.

Don't think I will be EVER watching it. Stopped watching em after Prisoner of Azkaban. Was the best book in the entire series, and the movie too was good.

kiroo
17th July 2009, 04:04 AM
thanks binoy..IMAX screen okke adipoli aayirunno?

sertzui
17th July 2009, 04:18 AM
Thanks Binoy.,

Tony
17th July 2009, 03:50 PM
Rediff

4/5

http://movies.rediff.com/review/2009/jul/17/review-harry-potter-and-the-half-blood-prince.htm

Robert Langdon
17th July 2009, 03:51 PM
Rediff

4/5

http://movies.rediff.com/review/2009/jul/17/review-harry-potter-and-the-half-blood-prince.htm
Athaanu :cheers:

Hari Kuttan
17th July 2009, 03:54 PM
Rediff

4/5

:salute:

gujav
17th July 2009, 04:00 PM
Thanks for d review Binoy macha..:cheers:

Review vayikumbol...I cudnt take my eyes off Archana..shes hot..i mean shes beautifulllll !!:heart:

Malayalee
17th July 2009, 04:04 PM
Thnx Binoy..

TOI Rating 4/5 aanu.. :cheers:

Harry porter first 5 okke marannu.. elaam veendum kandathinu shesham ithu kananam :sun:

munshi02
17th July 2009, 04:11 PM

Review vayikumbol...I cudnt take my eyes off Archana..shes hot..i mean shes beautifulllll !!:heart:

kanjav evide ondo? sugamale enthina engane njoti nonayanathu cash koduthu eduthondu po

Robert Langdon
17th July 2009, 04:21 PM

Welcome Gunjav anna:coolguy:

Archana:premam:

Thnx Binoy..

TOI Rating 4/5 aanu.. :cheers:

Harry porter first 5 okke marannu.. elaam veendum kandathinu shesham ithu kananam :sun:
Welcome Malayalee...:)

Robert Langdon
17th July 2009, 04:22 PM
'Potter' passes $100m mark in 24 hours

Friday, July 17 2009, 11:26 BST
By Lara Martin (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a165632/potter-passes-usd100m-mark-in-24-hours.html#), Entertainment Reporter
http://images.digitalspy.co.uk/09/28/160x120_movies_release_diary_harry_potter_half_blo od_prince.jpg
<!-- google_ad_section_start --> Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince has passed the $100 million mark at the worldwide box office just 24 hours after its release.
The sixth instalment in the wizarding saga has earned $58.2 million at the US box office and $45.9 million internationally since Wednesday, marking the best start ever for a movie franchise.
Veronika Kwan-Rubinek, Warner Brothers' president of international distribution, told Variety that the "outstanding box office numbers" were a "testament to the universal appeal" of the magical movies.
The new film has already set a new record (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a165378/half-blood-prince-sets-midnight-record.html) for midnight ticket sales after raking in $22 million for US first screenings. The previous record had been the $18.5 million earned by The Dark Knight (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a113468/the-dark-knight.html) in 2008.
It was recently speculated that Harry Potter could surpass James Bond as the highest-grossing (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a165326/potter-to-become-top-film-franchise.html) franchise in movie history.

Robert Langdon
17th July 2009, 04:23 PM
Potter's Half Blood Prince creats box office records

London: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince raked up 4.7 million pounds on it's opening day, the highest ever in the history of UK.
The sixth film in the super-hit fantasy franchise outdid it's predecessors with the bumper opening, reported Daily Mail online.
The film starring Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson which will released on Friday in India had the biggest ever opening in the history of UK.
Half-Blood Prince has Harry struggling to pry a critical memory loose from a new Hogwarts teacher who possesses key information in the coming showdown between the young hero and the evil Lord Voldemort.
The last Harry Potter film, Order Of The Phoenix, made 49.874 million pounds in the UK and USD 938.3 million worldwide.
The film could be the year's biggest money-maker, beating Megan Fox (http://connect.in.com/profile/Megan_Fox/193281), Shia La Beouf starrer Transformers 2.

Kumbidi
17th July 2009, 04:24 PM
Thanks benoy..

Robert Langdon
17th July 2009, 04:31 PM
:thanks:kothippichu kollalle binoy...
Welcome tumnus...

Thanksie for review.

Don't think I will be EVER watching it. Stopped watching em after Prisoner of Azkaban. Was the best book in the entire series, and the movie too was good.
Welcome digu...
Moviewise, POA aanu enikku worst aayi thonniyathu...

thanks binoy..IMAX screen okke adipoli aayirunno?

Welcome macha... Kidilam sound n picture !

Thanks Binoy.,
Welcome macha...