PDA

View Full Version : Love Aaj Kal: Fresh and creative, but...Gujavs review pg 3

double chankan
1st August 2009, 01:23 AM
Adlabs cinemas, Screen 1 : 10 pm: HF

Story: Love Aaj Kal as the name literally indicates is the love story of two generations. The metro sexual youth of today and the conservative youth of say mid 20th century.

Jai Singh and Veer Singh(Saif, Saif/Rishi Kapoor) are the male protagonists while Meera and Harleen (Deepika and ?) are their love interests of the respective generations.

The story of the movie is a tried, tested and cliched one in bollywood.
Untold love, separation, realization and ..... are the various stages which Imtiaz Ali has brought in here too.

But what makes LAJ is the treatment and the script. The movie takes you through the difference in attitude and outlook between two generation with out being preachy at all. The parallel love stories run differently under the same circumstances and finally meet at a common point.

The script and the narrative are so creative and gripping, that you find yourself relating to each incident and character of the movie.
The interlinking of the 2 tracks is just about brilliant, and the first half races away. The story revolves around the young couples thinking about the practicality of maintaining the relation and not realizing their feelings for each other. The director/script writer beautifully brings in the outlook and thoughts of the 21st century relation, with physical love playing a very important place.

But the makers slightly lose the plot mid way through the second half and the movie starts dragging. But by the time it draws to a climax, they are able to pull it back to a convincing end. If at all they had worked on the pre climax bit more, LAK would have had very little negatives to talk off.

Performance wise, Saif, Rishi Kapoor and Deepika does what is expected from them, though nothing extra ordinary.
It is a very good example of how a cliched story line can be developed in to an entertaining and brave script.

I wish how our film makers started thinking out of the box and create fresh attempts for youth, rather than the puthiya mukhams which are proclaimed for the youth.

But at the end of it, you get what you deserve.

Verdict: LAK is a movie which has it heart in the right place, but could have been bettered in excecution.

Response is mixed, expecting it to go on to be a HIT

Sree
1st August 2009, 01:29 AM
thanks chankaa

Robert Langdon
1st August 2009, 01:30 AM
Thanks Chankan...:hug:

Mr.Lonely
1st August 2009, 02:01 AM
thanks DC

Tony
1st August 2009, 02:06 AM
Harleen Kaur aayi abhinayichathu Giselle Monteiro aanu... She is a debutant...

Tony
1st August 2009, 02:07 AM
Thanks for the review...

munshi02
1st August 2009, 02:21 AM
THANKS CHANKU

Vascodagama
1st August 2009, 06:36 AM
THANKS DC!!!!!!!!

Fontu
1st August 2009, 06:38 AM
thanks DC..what abt the new controversy..?

Agnes
1st August 2009, 06:52 AM
enukithu kaananam ....

Antony Moses
1st August 2009, 08:03 AM
Thanks chanky.

Robert Langdon
1st August 2009, 11:14 AM
Harleen Kaur aayi abhinayichathu Giselle Monteiro aanu... She is a debutant...
Ho... Avalde peru ippozhenglium porath vittallo !!

Malayalee
1st August 2009, 11:16 AM
Thnx DC..

Invalid_user
1st August 2009, 11:17 AM
thanks dc...

critic
1st August 2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks for a wonderfully opinionated review, DC. This one sure has some character.

Kumbidi
1st August 2009, 11:38 AM
thanks machu

Arjun
1st August 2009, 02:08 PM
Thanks Chankaaa

Vincent Gomas
1st August 2009, 02:09 PM
thanx for the review DC...!!

SuryaVanshi
1st August 2009, 02:11 PM
Thanks chankan kure padam kanan pending undu kanan :freak:...

Maharajav
1st August 2009, 02:13 PM
thanks mister double chankan...theater mangalaapuathano???(adlabs)

KasinathaN
1st August 2009, 03:03 PM
Thanks DC

kiroo
1st August 2009, 03:04 PM
thanks DC...

praveenshankar
1st August 2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks DC .

Eerali
1st August 2009, 05:37 PM
Thanks double chankan.

lalistheonlySuperStar
1st August 2009, 05:39 PM
thanks chanku

gujav
1st August 2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks Chanka!!:banana:

gujav
1st August 2009, 08:12 PM
Love Aaj Kal ~ my review :

Angane njanum LAK kandu....pakshe smhow i dnt feel like starting one more review thread...so posting my small review here..:smoke:

Theatre : Athulya, Tvm
Show and Status : Matinee show - Housefull

Loaded with expectations ...courtesy critics review and the "Jab we met" experience....i reached Athulya!! The movie started off with fans cheerin deepika and saif...but smhow thru out d movie i cudnt connect with d movie even once. Sm of d jokes wer really pathetic i must say.... and as chaknan said a fresh.... creative script and narration style...but the movie really doesnt grip viewer's attention..:emo:

In one sentence the movie is jus another brick in d wall :smirk:

My rating for the Imtiaz Ali's Love Aaj Kal wud be 2.5/5!!

PS: 7 months down and Bollywood hasnt really had a gud 2009 till now...wud say Dev D was d only stand out movie made dis year!!:musicus:

navarannan
1st August 2009, 11:10 PM
Thanks DC for the review..

Da Gujave ninakkistapettilla alle..

Sree
2nd August 2009, 01:44 AM
thanks gujav .... :choolam:

Tony
2nd August 2009, 01:47 AM
Thanks gujav...

Tony
2nd August 2009, 01:48 AM
@kk

it will be better if you edit topic and put Gujav's review- Page 3

Robert Langdon
2nd August 2009, 01:54 AM
Love Aaj Kal ~ my review :

Angane njanum LAK kandu....pakshe smhow i dnt feel like starting one more review thread...so posting my small review here..:smoke:

Theatre : Athulya, Tvm
Show and Status : Matinee show - Housefull

Loaded with expectations ...courtesy critics review and the "Jab we met" experience....i reached Athulya!! The movie started off with fans cheerin deepika and saif...but smhow thru out d movie i cudnt connect with d movie even once. Sm of d jokes wer really pathetic i must say.... and as chaknan said a fresh.... creative script and narration style...but the movie really doesnt grip viewer's attention..:emo:

In one sentence the movie is jus another brick in d wall :smirk:

My rating for the Imtiaz Ali's Love Aaj Kal wud be 2.5/5!!

PS: 7 months down and Bollywood hasnt really had a gud 2009 till now...wud say Dev D was d only stand out movie made dis year!!:musicus:
Thanx Gujav.. Different persons, different perceptions..:):

double chankan
2nd August 2009, 08:35 AM
thanks DC..what abt the new controversy..?

which one?

double chankan
2nd August 2009, 08:37 AM
welcome all...

thanjs gujav

gujav
2nd August 2009, 10:05 AM
Thanx Gujav.. Different persons, different perceptions..:):

True Binoy. :whistle:

gujav
2nd August 2009, 10:09 AM
which one?

Saif's trimmed beard sardar look... apparently offended Sikh community and sm of the sardar jokes were also edited..:njam_njam:

Kannettan
2nd August 2009, 10:11 AM
True Binoy. :whistle:
namovaakam:dancer:

gujav
2nd August 2009, 10:14 AM
namovaakam:dancer:

Hi Kannettaaaaaaaaaa...enthokke und macha visheshangal?? :grin:

Kannettan
2nd August 2009, 10:22 AM
Hi Kannettaaaaaaaaaa...enthokke und macha visheshangal?? :grin:
ellam nannayi pokunnu:karakkam:

EmmeS
2nd August 2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks DC, Siggy kalakki...

Sree
2nd August 2009, 10:36 AM
@kk

it will be better if you edit topic and put Gujav's review- Page 3

edit option okke userinu thanne undallo :photo:

Transporter
2nd August 2009, 11:23 AM
thanks dc

gujav
2nd August 2009, 06:33 PM

KK macha ...DC's thread inte topic ennikk edit cheyyan pattumo?? :thinking::thinking::thinking:
pattumengil engane enn onnu PM idu..pls..

double chankan
2nd August 2009, 07:01 PM
KK macha ...DC's thread inte topic ennikk edit cheyyan pattumo?? :thinking::thinking::thinking:
pattumengil engane enn onnu PM idu..pls..

i have done it, u cant edit others topic title

critic
2nd August 2009, 07:16 PM
Kiran rank these based on ur liking plss ----- kuch kuch hota hai,mohabattein, jtjyn, khnh,jwm and baghban.

double chankan
2nd August 2009, 07:23 PM
Kiran rank these based on ur liking plss ----- kuch kuch hota hai,mohabattein, jtjyn, khnh,jwm and baghban.

though it is to kiran, i ll also take it

bhagban
kuch kuch
mohabattein
jtyjn
khnh- kal ho na ho alle?

(ascending order)

JBW i havent seen fully yet

Tony
2nd August 2009, 07:38 PM

da nee vilichaal orikkalum phone edukkille?:thumb_down:

Robert Langdon
2nd August 2009, 07:43 PM
Ente rating

JWM > JTYJN > KHNH > KKHH > Mohabatein > Baghban

Sree
3rd August 2009, 08:42 AM
da nee vilichaal orikkalum phone edukkille?:thumb_down:

njan pankanu padichondirikkuva :biggrin:

Fontu
3rd August 2009, 08:46 AM
which one?
oops..sorry..Gujav paranjille..

passionforcinema
3rd August 2009, 09:02 AM
I was unsatisfied after watching this movie.It looked fake in most of the parts for me.dialogues were the major dissappointment.i thot imtiaz ali can write much better realistic dialogues.

I am more upset when I see malayalam newspapers giving news on LAK on a daily basis proclaiming its merits.They never do that for malyalam movies while its running in theaters since thats bisaed for them!

Pathetic!!

Tony
3rd August 2009, 09:23 AM
They might have given money to write good things. Its a part of the promotion nowadays.

critic
3rd August 2009, 09:29 AM
though it is to kiran, i ll also take it

bhagban
kuch kuch
mohabattein
jtyjn
khnh- kal ho na ho alle?

(ascending order)

JBW i havent seen fully yet

So KHNH is best and Baghban the last . rt?
Hmm, My guess was that if one had Mohabattein or Kuch Kuch at the top, then that guy is not likely to rate LAK very highly. More towards mushy romance, I guess.

critic
3rd August 2009, 09:32 AM
Accoring to news reports, LAK has had a thunderous start at the B.O and some site tips it to over take 'Ghajini'.

Agnes
3rd August 2009, 10:21 AM
njaanum rank cheyythotteee ....

Jab We Met
Kal Ho Na Ho
Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na
Kuch Kuch Hota Hai

I have seen Mohabathein but I don't remember it that much probably coz I din likee .. Havent Seen Baghban

When I saw Kuch Kuch Hota Hai first time (like kunjaayirunnapol) I thght it was like a really romantic movie ippol aa movie-ile scenes kaanumbol eniku chiri varum .. haha!!

especially when I see Sharukh classic expression (when he control his sadnesss) chirichu chirichu madukkum ..

YouTube - Kuch Kuch Hota Hai gazebo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h64V31hD20M)

pandu ee scene kaanumbol ethu classic scene aanu oothiri rasam aayiirunnu ennaayiruu ... eppol kaanumbol njaan chirichu chathu pokum!

Sree
3rd August 2009, 10:26 AM
When I saw Kuch Kuch Hota Hai first time (like kunjaayirunnapol) I thght it was like a really romantic movie ippol aa movie-ile scenes kaanumbol eniku chiri varum .. haha!!

especially when I see Sharukh classic expression (when he control his sadnesss) chirichu chirichu madukkum ..

YouTube - Kuch Kuch Hota Hai gazebo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h64V31hD20M)

pandu ee scene kaanumbol ethu classic scene aanu oothiri rasam aayiirunnu ennaayiruu ... eppol kaanumbol njaan chirichu chathu pokum!

haha....allelum moopparde vann expression okke vecholla performance kandaal aarkkum chiri vannu pokum :kiki:

Sree
3rd August 2009, 10:26 AM
Accoring to news reports, LAK has had a thunderous start at the B.O and some site tips it to over take 'Ghajini'.

numma sammathikkoola :kedi:

Agnes
3rd August 2009, 10:28 AM
haha....allelum moopparde vann expression okke vecholla performance kandaal aarkkum chiri vannu pokum :kiki:
Ella movie-ilum tanne undu ... Kal Ho Na HO , Kuch Kuchu Hota Hai, Kabhie Khusie Kabhie Gham .. otta idi kodukan tonnum :punch:

Pakshe I love him in CHak Dee .. He rocked man!!

Tony
3rd August 2009, 10:29 AM

Well... that would be a joke...:haha:

no chance at all...

Sree
3rd August 2009, 10:31 AM
Ella movie-ilum tanne undu ... Kal Ho Na HO , Kuch Kuchu Hota Hai, Kabhie Khusie Kabhie Gham .. otta idi kodukan tonnum :punch:

Pakshe I love him in CHak Dee .. He rocked man!!

yea...chakde,swades,dil se okke moopparde nalla films aanu ..:punk:

Sree
3rd August 2009, 10:32 AM

Love Aaj Kal has recorded the second highest collection ever for the first Friday after Ghajini last year. Collections at multiplexes are the highest ever for day one.

Five Highest First Friday Grosses
Ghajini - 9.25 crore nett
Love Aaj Kal - 8.25 crore nett
Kambakhht Ishq - 7.50 crore nett
Singh Is Kinng - 7.25 crore nett
Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi - 7 crore nett

king khan okke ippo pazhaya kadhayaayi :rock:

Agnes
3rd August 2009, 10:35 AM
yea...chakde,swades,dil se okke moopparde nalla films aanu ..:punk:
:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

pakshe matte cheena expressons kondu varumbol eniku desyam varum

Mallik Bhai
3rd August 2009, 10:39 AM
padam paathaachu...endho oru incompleteness feel cheydhu filmil in totality...dialogues onnum sheriyaayilla...saif ws ok, bt deepika has proved she cant handle heavy scenes...aa puthiya pennu kollaairunnu...songs also didnt raise up to the level....imtiaz's idea ws gud i felt, bt executionil endho oru poraayma thonni.....not upto imtiaz's jwm or snt.....a disappointment for me...detailed review onnum idaanilla!!!

Sree
3rd August 2009, 10:41 AM
padam paathaachu...endho oru incompleteness feel cheydhu filmil in totality...dialogues onnum sheriyaayilla...saif ws ok, bt deepika has proved she cant handle heavy scenes...aa puthiya pennu kollaairunnu...songs also didnt raise up to the level....imtiaz's idea ws gud i felt, bt executionil endho oru poraayma thonni.....not upto imtiaz's jwm or snt.....a disappointment for me...detailed review onnum idaanilla!!!

web reviews okke vamban aayappo karuthi padam super aanennu...pakshe ithippo :venda: ...thanks dancer annaa

Mallik Bhai
3rd August 2009, 10:42 AM
web reviews okke vamban aayappo karuthi padam super aanennu...pakshe ithippo :venda: ...thanks dancer annaa
welcome bhai...endho totally oru poraayma feel cheydhu throughout...2nd half pretty slow...pinne deepika oru big negative aayi thonni...oru hit aavumaairikkum!

passionforcinema
3rd August 2009, 10:43 AM
dino,
how is snt?i havent seen it.a must see?

Tony
3rd August 2009, 10:45 AM
Love Aaj Kal has recorded the second highest collection ever for the first Friday after Ghajini last year. Collections at multiplexes are the highest ever for day one.

Athrem mathi... ee padam oru record breaker onnum aavilla... sure... opening nallathakan ishtam pole reasons undu...

Sree
welcome bhai...endho totally oru poraayma feel cheydhu throughout...2nd half pretty slow...pinne deepika oru big negative aayi thonni...oru hit aavumaairikkum!

hmm...opening is gud i think ...deepika padakkam...i just dont like her :theri:

Mallik Bhai
btw, thanx dc n gujav....quite agree with dc tht the narration was creative, bt mostly it felt lyk old wine in a new bottle, nothin els...masandnte bhaashayil paranjaal 2/5 kodukkaam!

Tony
3rd August 2009, 10:46 AM

Thanks...

Allathe ivanteyokke padam record breaker ennokke paranjaaa:njam_njam:

Mallik Bhai
3rd August 2009, 10:46 AM
dino,
how is snt?i havent seen it.a must see?
not even close to a "must see!" bhai....catch it on tv/dvd...

Mallik Bhai
3rd August 2009, 10:47 AM
hmm...opening is gud i think ...deepika padakkam...i just dont like her :theri:
endho enikkishtaairunnu, bt ee padam kandappo aa ishtathinoridivu patti!

critic
3rd August 2009, 10:47 AM

Thanks Dino Bhai. 2 stories and the switching between both convincing aayi thonniyo?

Malayalee
3rd August 2009, 10:50 AM
Innale ee film kandu..

binoy paranja pole sweet cute love story.. :salut:

all credit goes to Imtiaz ali.. story okke pala thavana kandathanelum screenplay ,direction brilliant aanu.. film bayangara fastum aanu.. samayam poyathu arinjilla..

Saif - Deepika chemistry excellent.. puthiya pennum nannayitundu..songs okke kollam

nalla oru message ulla film

my rating 8.5/10 :p

Ee cinema Mega hit aavum enna kaaryam urappanu..

Mallik Bhai
3rd August 2009, 10:50 AM

Thanks...

Allathe ivanteyokke padam record breaker ennokke paranjaaa:njam_njam:
ee figuresneppatti kazhinja week o matto ndtvil paraamarshichirunnu, esply kambakht ishq....it ws on the lines that "while in reality akshay's kambakht ishq is struggling to maintain itself in the BO, the makers have released that it has collected astronomical figures" ennokke, the conclusion was "KI is yet another colossal flop in akshay's career considering its huge budget and ranks next to CC2C in terms of money lost" enn...

Mallik Bhai
3rd August 2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks Dino Bhai. 2 stories and the switching between both convincing aayi thonniyo?
wc critic annai...yep, that ws all fine, but i cudnt c merit in the decision deepika made, choosing career over.....! somehow i dint find it convincing....n thats a critical point in the film!

passionforcinema
3rd August 2009, 10:56 AM
yes i felt farah khan is a great director after watching deepika padukone in lak!

Tony
3rd August 2009, 10:57 AM
ee figuresneppatti kazhinja week o matto ndtvil paraamarshichirunnu, esply kambakht ishq....it ws on the lines that "while in reality akshay's kambakht ishq is struggling to maintain itself in the BO, the makers have released that it has collected astronomical figures" ennokke, the conclusion was "KI is yet another colossal flop in akshay's career considering its huge budget and ranks next to CC2C in terms of money lost" enn...

Thats true.

KI has a boasted collection. There was no much demand after the initial weeks.
To hide that they are doing so many promotional news and heard that akshay and kareena are conducting KI parties in the weekends. :p

Sree
3rd August 2009, 10:58 AM

kambakth ishq okke 1st day veena padamaanu ....exaggerated collection figures it seems

Sree
3rd August 2009, 11:00 AM
yes i felt farah khan is a great director after watching deepika padukone in lak!

notebookilem,chocolateilem romaye pole aanno?

Mallik Bhai
3rd August 2009, 11:09 AM
spot on!!!!

passionforcinema
3rd August 2009, 11:10 AM
roma is a much more natural actress for me.
one moment of romance i felt in the movie was when the sikh saif sees off his girl at the station,when she switches seats for him to see her..that was cool..
rest was mostly fake,made up,more unrealistic than kj,yc movies for me.

Mallik Bhai
3rd August 2009, 11:10 AM
To hide that they are doing so many promotional news and heard that akshay and kareena are conducting KI parties in the weekends. :p
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Mallik Bhai
3rd August 2009, 11:11 AM
roma is a much more natural actress for me.

:dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer:roma kee jai!!!!!!!!!!:happy:

gujav
3rd August 2009, 11:13 AM

hmm...havnt seen Baghban so cant really rate that one...rest of the list will look smthing like this..

1) JWM - Fresh script...brilliant execution by Imti....Kareena jus rocked..:grin:
2) JTJYN - Simple story...light hearted entertainer..Abbas Tyrewalas got pulse of youth rt..+ ARR the genius :salut:
3) KHNH - "Anand"...Mr K istyle...gud music....SRK stole the show!!
4) KKHH - Who can forget...SRKs "kuch kuch hota hai Anjali..tum nahin samjhogi" dialogue...Bubbly Kajol..Fresh Rani..and songs that topped the charts for years together!!
5) Mohabbatien- Typical Yash Raj flick...Long..Cliched love story..or rather saga... Except for sm of the dialogues and songs..nthng worth remembering...:hmm:

gujav
3rd August 2009, 11:27 AM

:ennekollu::ennekollu::ennekollu:

On a serious note...SIK was better than Chandi Chowk...

Robert Langdon
3rd August 2009, 01:02 PM

=)) =)) =))

double chankan
3rd August 2009, 03:48 PM

100% agreement..

but she rocked in the cheered up scenes.. might be the next bubbly girl after preity

double chankan
3rd August 2009, 03:49 PM
binoy,

read in ur review that the mixing of two generation stories is kind of new to bollywood.

but i think it has been the in thing after RDB

Robert Langdon
3rd August 2009, 03:51 PM
binoy,

read in ur review that the mixing of two generation stories is kind of new to bollywood.

but i think it has been the in thing after RDB
Pettennu ormayil vannilla athu...:kannuruttu: