PDA

View Full Version : Kaminey - My Review

Hari Kuttan
17th August 2009, 01:13 AM
Vishal Bharadwaj is one of the classy directors we have here, and his movies are promising and different from the bollywood formula films - be it the matured omakara or the beutifully crafted Blue umbrella. So we expect nothing less from him, especially the production house being UTV.

Kaminey is not the usual 'spoonfeeding' bollywood flick, you need to truly in every sense pay attention to the movie. I was surprised to see some of them saying "It's boring and draggy" - now we are fed up with that million dollar bollywood craps aren't we. I don't think theres any area they could improvise - it's neither way too hollywood nor too bollywood - a perfect blend of both. That's Kaminey.

I don't know if anyone noticed this - but Charlie

Now I'm not coming to the story, as it has been discussed several times by the other reviewers. The first half is pacy, and the second half is a tad slow, but still not boring by any stretch of imagination. The shaky frames were cool, but at some parts it may confuse the viewers.

Coming to the perfomance side: Shahid was simply 'awefome' in the role of Charlie and Guddu. Priyanka was nothing great, but still did her role aptly. Amole gupte, and the gangsters Lobo and Lele rocked.

But who steals the show? It's none other than Vifhal Bharadwaj! Hats off Vishal! :salut: Though I wouldn't dare to make a comparison with Tarantino or Guy ritiche movies, I can say, this movie is a landmark in the history of bollywood thrillers. A must watch!

Rating: 4.5/5

Tony
17th August 2009, 01:26 AM
harikuttanum review ittu... :cheers:

Tony
17th August 2009, 01:26 AM
Thanks daa...

Mr.Lonely
17th August 2009, 01:27 AM
thanks HK

Hari Kuttan
17th August 2009, 01:39 AM
harikuttanum review ittu... :cheers:
:cheers:

Thanks daa...
Welcome anna :peace:

thanks HK
Welcome da :playball:

Robert Langdon
17th August 2009, 01:57 AM
Daa vyajante quality engane ondennu koodi para :lol:

Antony Moses
17th August 2009, 02:10 AM
Ty Harikutta...

Climax piditham kittiyo>

kiroo
17th August 2009, 02:25 AM
thanks kutta...!!

CiD DaSaN
17th August 2009, 02:34 AM
Thanks Harikuttan..............
Same opinion.. perfect blend of hollywood n bollywood..
I liked Priyanka's performance in this though.
Amol Gupte was sensational.

Robert Langdon
17th August 2009, 02:53 AM
:nallatha:

Sree
17th August 2009, 07:03 AM
dei vella pirated printumaanel ithrakku aadambaram kaanikkaan nikkendaarnnu :silenced:

thanks anywayz

Fontu
17th August 2009, 08:05 AM
thanks Hari..@ nee engane padam kandu..?!!!

ITV
17th August 2009, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the review

Sootran
17th August 2009, 09:00 AM
evidunnu choondiya Review aanu ?

~Saji~
17th August 2009, 09:19 AM
thanks..........

critic
17th August 2009, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the review, Harikutta.

Hari Kuttan
17th August 2009, 09:32 AM
Ty Harikutta...

Climax piditham kittiyo>
Yes.. :strong: y? annanu pidutha kiteele?

Hari Kuttan
17th August 2009, 09:37 AM
Daa vyajante quality engane ondennu koodi para :lol:
Oru rvw idumbo thanks paranjillelum akkalleda oole.. :choolam:

Welcome anna :cheers:

Yes Amol Gupte was a total surprise.. :emo:

dei vella pirated printumaanel ithrakku aadambaram kaanikkaan nikkendaarnnu :silenced:

thanks anywayz
Melcow.. :idi:

thanks Hari..@ nee engane padam kandu..?!!!
Print print8-[

Thanks for the review
Welcome ITV anna :nallatha:

thanks..........
Welcome sajiyetta :dancing:

Thanks for the review, Harikutta.
Welcome etta :cheers:

Sootran
17th August 2009, 09:46 AM
Ty Harikutta...

Climax piditham kittiyo>

Yes.. :strong: y? annanu pidutha kiteele?

ithu spoiler ittu chodikkenda karyam onnumilla !!!!

pappadam
17th August 2009, 09:49 AM
ithu spoiler ittu chodikkenda karyam onnumilla !!!!

Ithu thanneyaanu enikkum parayaanullathu :kolleda:

saharapookal
17th August 2009, 09:49 AM
Dey thanks................

pappadam
17th August 2009, 09:50 AM
Vishal Bharadwaj is one of the classy directors we have here, and his movies are promising and different from the bollywood formula films - be it the matured omakara or the beutifully crafted Blue umbrella. So we expect nothing less from him, especially the production house being UTV.

Kaminey is not the usual 'spoonfeeding' bollywood flick, you need to truly in every sense pay attention to the movie. I was surprised to see some of them saying "It's boring and draggy" - now we are fed up with that million dollar bollywood craps aren't we. I don't think theres any area they could improvise - it's neither way too hollywood nor too bollywood - a perfect blend of both. That's Kaminey.

I don't know if anyone noticed this - but Charlie

Now I'm not coming to the story, as it has been discussed several times by the other reviewers. The first half is pacy, and the second half is a tad slow, but still not boring by any stretch of imagination. The shaky frames were cool, but at some parts it may confuse the viewers.

Coming to the perfomance side: Shahid was simply 'awefome' in the role of Charlie and Guddu. Priyanka was nothing great, but still did her role aptly. Amole gupte, and the gangsters Lobo and Lele rocked.

But who steals the show? It's none other than Vifhal Bharadwaj! Hats off Vishal! :salut: Though I wouldn't dare to make a comparison with Tarantino or Guy ritiche movies, I can say, this movie is a landmark in the history of bollywood thrillers. A must watch!

Rating: 4.5/5

Thanks Aripputte :sightadi:

kuttoos
17th August 2009, 10:09 AM
hari kuttan padam kando..engil padam net-l erangy
thanks da

Hari Kuttan
17th August 2009, 10:28 AM
Dey thanks................
Welcome pookal anna:saint:

Thanks Aripputte :sightadi:
Welcome jaseerikka:freak:

hari kuttan padam kando..engil padam net-l erangy
thanks da
:evil:
Welcome anna :sightadi:

Antony Moses
17th August 2009, 10:28 AM
Ithu thanneyaanu enikkum parayaanullathu :kolleda:
Endinglil Charlie chaavunnu alle?

sertzui
17th August 2009, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the review

Hari Kuttan
17th August 2009, 10:31 AM
Endinglil Charlie chaavunnu alle?
Koppu.. Appo annan padam kandille? Charlie chavanonnum illa.. Avasanam lavan bookie shop thudanganathum guddunodu foneil samsarikkanathum okke kandille?:poda:

Hari Kuttan
17th August 2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the review
Welcome Sertzui anna :DJ:

praveenshankar
17th August 2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks HK.

sertzui
17th August 2009, 10:36 AM
Thanks, Njan nattil ayirunnu.... ellam pathukke nokkunu.... Just joined office today

Enjoy

Welcome Sertzui anna :DJ:

Antony Moses
17th August 2009, 10:46 AM
Koppu.. Appo annan padam kandille? Charlie chavanonnum illa.. Avasanam lavan bookie shop thudanganathum guddunodu foneil samsarikkanathum okke kandille?:poda:
Nee appo padam kandathu verutheyayi. Athu dream sequence alle? Actually Charlie Angolakkarande vedi kondu chavunnu. Chaavan neram pulli kaanunna oru divaswapnam aanu athu

Hari Kuttan
17th August 2009, 10:51 AM
Thanks HK.
Welcome praveen :kidu:

Thanks, Njan nattil ayirunnu.... ellam pathukke nokkunu.... Just joined office today

Enjoy
Padam kanunnille anna?:kudiyans:

Nee appo padam kandathu verutheyayi. Athu dream sequence alle? Actually Charlie Angolakkarande vedi kondu chavunnu. Chaavan neram pulli kaanunna oru divaswapnam aanu athu

That depends on how you interpret the climax. But honestly what makes you think that charlie did die?

Antony Moses
17th August 2009, 10:56 AM
Welcome praveen :kidu:

Padam kanunnille anna?:kudiyans:

That depends on how you interpret the climax. But honestly what makes you think that charlie did die?
Darker twin gets shot by the Angolan guy and he falls down. Then to the complete contrast to the raw, dark and realistic mood of the movie, the scene cuts to one where priyanka gives birth to twins, and the dark twin is shown to be having his own betting agency + the exact girl he wanted in the exact dress as he used to dream.

I think Vishal would not go for such a very filmy climax, and probably inserted it as the dying dream of Charlie, but as easily could satisfy the "layman" viewer who wants a happy ever after ending.

In the case that it is the "real" climax and not a dream one, there was no need for the getting shot scene. He could have just shown Charlie looking at the diamonds and resisting the urge to pick it, and thereafter reuniting with his brother. The absence of the usual "flashlight-ambulance-stretcher-hospital-critical operation-success" scenes post the getting shot scene evidences more to the one I talked about.

I cannot believe that if he subscribes to Tarantino school of thought, he'd have gone for the cliched ending of "getting shot but surviving and making it big". He cleverly used the dream interjection to satiate the crowd while at the same time not compromising on the actual ending which is Charlie dying.

Hari Kuttan
17th August 2009, 11:08 AM
Darker twin gets shot by the Angolan guy and he falls down. Then to the complete contrast to the raw, dark and realistic mood of the movie, the scene cuts to one where priyanka gives birth to twins, and the dark twin is shown to be having his own betting agency + the exact girl he wanted in the exact dress as he used to dream.

I think Vishal would not go for such a very filmy climax, and probably inserted it as the dying dream of Charlie, but as easily could satisfy the "layman" viewer who wants a happy ever after ending.

In the case that it is the "real" climax and not a dream one, there was no need for the getting shot scene. He could have just shown Charlie looking at the diamonds and resisting the urge to pick it, and thereafter reuniting with his brother. The absence of the usual "flashlight-ambulance-stretcher-hospital-critical operation-success" scenes post the getting shot scene evidences more to the one I talked about.

I cannot believe that if he subscribes to Tarantino school of thought, he'd have gone for the cliched ending of "getting shot but surviving and making it big". He cleverly used the dream interjection to satiate the crowd while at the same time not compromising on the actual ending which is Charlie dying.
Ok, that's a valid point. But that doesn't mean one can't interpret the other way. And the "flashlight-ambulance-stretcher-hospital-critical operation-success"stuff would be too cliched if included.. So he might have avoided that. See the name of the bookie shop? It's Mikhail's bookies, not Charlie bookies as he dreamt at the start. So that means there's a good chance that what's happening is real, and he started the shop in the memory of his friend Mikhail.

And Tarantino movies doesn't have such surrealist elements and is pretty straightforward - there's nothing left to interpret and all. So i think this is not happening inside Charlies head, but is happening for real.

Antony Moses
17th August 2009, 11:16 AM
Ok, that's a valid point. But that doesn't mean one can't interpret the other way. And the "flashlight-ambulance-stretcher-hospital-critical operation-success"stuff would be too cliched if included.. So he might have avoided that. See the name of the bookie shop? It's Mikhail's bookies, not Charlie bookies as he dreamt at the start. So that means there's a good chance that what's happening is real, and he started the shop in the memory of his friend Mikhail.

And Tarantino movies doesn't have such surrealist elements and is pretty straightforward - there's nothing left to interpret and all. So i think this is not happening inside Charlies head, but is happening for real.
Appo pinne "happy ever after" ending cliched alle? I think it is the biggest cliche. Even after taking a fatal bullet, Charlie comes out good. And also he did not take the diamond, so how'd he put up his shop? I mean where he gets the money from??

Another problem is that everything is as he dreamt, even the GF shown at the end, who is wearing exactly the same bridal dress, which only strengthens my argument.

Also naming the company Mikail is only appropriate as Mikail was like his brother. So everything is "too" perfect to be true.

Arjun
17th August 2009, 11:54 AM
Thanks kari huttaa

Shambu
17th August 2009, 11:55 AM
hari annaa.. thanks ... ithnu poyittu thanney kaaryam... :)

Arun
17th August 2009, 11:56 AM
Ithu ee weekend kanan sramichittu nadanilla:(

Ini adutha weekend Kanthaswamy um ithu koode orumichu kaanam 8-)

Thanks 4 th review

Malayalee
17th August 2009, 11:57 AM
Thns Harikuttan..

itrem naal ithu kamini kamini enna njan vaayichirunne.. :choolam:

payyans
17th August 2009, 12:40 PM
thanks hari kuttan.

harianna
17th August 2009, 01:22 PM
thnx harikutta...

Ali Imran
17th August 2009, 01:25 PM
thnks kutta

Niranjan
17th August 2009, 03:46 PM

Hari Kuttan
17th August 2009, 06:00 PM
Appo pinne "happy ever after" ending cliched alle? I think it is the biggest cliche. Even after taking a fatal bullet, Charlie comes out good. And also he did not take the diamond, so how'd he put up his shop? I mean where he gets the money from??

Another problem is that everything is as he dreamt, even the GF shown at the end, who is wearing exactly the same bridal dress, which only strengthens my argument.

Also naming the company Mikail is only appropriate as Mikail was like his brother. So everything is "too" perfect to be true.
Oh i didn't notice that bridal dress.. Then there's a great possibility.. :buji:

Hari Kuttan
17th August 2009, 06:01 PM
Welcome all! :)

Transporter
17th August 2009, 06:12 PM
thanks hari kuttaa

Hari Kuttan
17th August 2009, 08:10 PM
Thanks lonely for the reps :thanks:

Welcome all! :)

double chankan
18th August 2009, 01:04 AM